We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money and more ...

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Progreso hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Money and more ...

Hi everyone,

We are heading to Progreso/Chicxulub this winter and wanted to know what banks are in the area for cashing traveller's cheques?

Where is the best place for cheap beer? Good food and great seafood restaurants too? Where can we rent an open air Jeep?

Has anyone cruised around to any of the small towns to the south? We will be there for five weeks and want to see as much as we can.

Thanks for your information.

Cape Cod
Level Contributor
1,872 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Money and more ...

Since you're going to be there for more than a month, I suggest you post your query on Yolisto.com, which serves, to a great extent, the expatriate community at Progreso and surrounding beaches.

I can't really answer any of your questions, save for your last. I've travelled all over the area. No matter where you go, there's always something interesting to see. The roads are pretty good, although many are very narrow with no shoulder.

Have a great trip!

Canada
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Money and more ...

Thanks for your reply.

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money and more ...

For starters, make sure your travelers checks are not in Canadian dollars. Banks here hate us Canadians (probably because there are so few of us here) and our money is unchangeable even in cash except for a few select locations. Of course the currency exchange places will exchange your CDN cash. Not sure about travelers checks/cheques.

I would skip the travelers cheques altogether and bring a bank card for ATM's (also bring a back up card in case of loss or the machine swallowing your card) and get pesos from it on a every-few-days basis. In Progreso there is HSBC, Santander and Banamex, BBV-Bancomer also I believe. Scotiabank is all over Merida as well as the others listed. The closest to the beaches is in the Liverpool mall, hours are later than usual - 11 AM to 6 PM.

You can try renting from Easyway, Veloz or Kimbila in Merida - in Progreso there is a place called Rogers that rents jeeps to cruiseship people so they will have some for you.

Roads are great and get more and more folcloric as you move away from Progreso. Try the backroads drive to Merida through Chelem and Chuburna or head south towards San Crisanto and find salt piles on the side of the road. Lots of fun. Lots of coconut products for sale out there, check out the cookies, pies, cakes, limes stuffed with coconut etc etc. Go to Dzemul and try to find the local bone healer for a sobada or massage. Take the mangrove tours at El Corchito in PRogreso or in San Cristanto.

Merida, Yucatan
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money and more ...

I very much ditto Bill's comments on travellers cheques. Plastic money is far easier all round.

For drinks and open air dining, I'd recommend Eladios and Hennequenes on the seafront (near the lighthouse). Los Flamingoes is another good place for seafood.

To the south you have Merida, which has plenty to offer, and a little further on Uxmal and Hacienda Sotuta de Peon. To the east you could go to Rio Lagartos to see the flamingoes and other wildlife. That could be an overnighter.

Driving is not too bad, but do be alert as you might encounter tricycles, etc.

Happy planning.

devon, alberta
Level Contributor
133 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money and more ...

Sorry this is so late but here is some advise for you. DO NOT under any circumstances bring Travellers Cheques. We did on our first trip to the Yucatan 6 years ago and ended up having to cash them at Walmart! No-one and I mean no-one wanted them! Bring your debit card and locate the ATM's!! As for renting a vehicle - we have rented from Blueway for the past 4 years but got a tip on Yolisto about America Car Rental (based in the Yucatan) and ended up renting from them as the insurance offered is better. We got a little car with ALL insurance for just over $1000 for 6 weeks! At Blueway we would have had to count on the insurance from our credit card so this ends up being much more intelligent! This will be our first long trip to the Yucatan as previously we have only been to AI on the Mayan Riveria with a side trip to Merida & Progreso! Have a wonderful time - it isn't hard to do there!

Edited: 7:54 pm, October 31, 2012
Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
Level Contributor
2,488 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money and more ...

And always get all the insurance. Do not rely on your credit cards insurance as the local police will laugh at that concept. Paying with your credit card at the police station. Ha ha ha ha. Or, as they say here, ja ja ja ja ja.

Get it ALL. Walking away from the scene of an accident and a destroyed rental - priceless.

7. Re: Money and more ...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 am, December 15, 2013