We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A walk from San Quirico dʼOrcia to Bagna Vignoni

Which San Quirico d'Orcia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
Level Contributor
101 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
A walk from San Quirico dʼOrcia to Bagna Vignoni

Has anyone walked from San Quirico d'Orcia to Bagna Vignoni?

6 replies to this topic
Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
6,169 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A walk from San Quirico dʼOrcia to Bagna Vignoni

Yes, many times. What do you want to know?

NJ
Level Contributor
101 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A walk from San Quirico dʼOrcia to Bagna Vignoni

Great! How long is the walk? Are there marked trails? Where can we get a map? I appreciate your input.

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
6,169 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A walk from San Quirico dʼOrcia to Bagna Vignoni

slowtrav.com/italy/…pk_hiking.htm

You can walk the back road from BV that brings you out in the top of San Quirico, which is easy to find as it forms part of the ancient Via Francigena so is signposted. It's quite undulating but not difficult to walk. How long it takes depends upon how fast you walk / whether you stop en route - I remember it being a good hour plus but not much more. There are other routes cross-country for which you would need a good trekking map such as the Club Alpino Italiano series that have one centred on Bagno Vignoni on a 1 : 25,000 scale. There are other maps/books too that you can pick up locally - the book store in San Quirico has an excellent selection as does (as I've mentioned before) the bookshop in Pienza. I found the link above whilst trying to find a way of purchasing them from abroad but, frankly, you may find it easier to wait until you get here. There are numerous truly great walks in this area including one from BV up to Ripa d'Orcia (that's a gem) and another to San Quirico but going westwards first through countryside on the opposite side of the Cassia. Going this way, you could go via the chapel at la Vitaleta and would take several hours. Great walk but not much shade. In fact, that's worth bearing in mind if you plan on doing the walks around here in high summer. I wouldn't recommend doing much trekking in July / August unless you plan it for either early or late in the day as many of the best walks are across open countryside and it can get very warm. (Pienza / Montepulciano is a possible exception.) Unless you're on a dirt track - and these are great to walk as there's very little traffic - footpath marking is pretty poor so you need good map reading skills plus a compass.

12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A walk from San Quirico dʼOrcia to Bagna Vignoni

Hi. Just wondering whether to take the east route or west route from bagno vignoni to San quirico walking. Is one more shaded than the other? Better marked? Thanks

Montepulciano, Italy
Level Contributor
6,169 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A walk from San Quirico dʼOrcia to Bagna Vignoni

Possibly slightly more shade on the eastern route but the western route (Francigena) affords better views. Hopefully you're already out on your way for it's a lovely morning, one of the coolest for over a week.

Deerfield Beach
Level Contributor
107 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: A walk from San Quirico dʼOrcia to Bagna Vignoni

The walk from SQ to BV sounds delightful, but at one hour rather short.... How would you recommend to extend it by a couple more hours?

Reply to: A walk from San Quirico dʼOrcia to Bagna Vignoni
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted