We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay in the June????

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
355 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay in the June????

We've booked an overnight cruise on Doubtful Sound the first week of June. We don't get back until 5:30 pm, so we need a place to stay the night before heading out on the Scenic Southern road.

We were thinking of staying in TeAnau but I'm running into a problem finding a place to stay (in our budget). Three of the places I had chosen are all closed . . . I could really use some suggestions, or perhaps we should just skip TeAnau altogether since we'll have been on Doubtful Sound for two days.

California
Level Contributor
8,420 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay in the June????

Did you check accommodations in Manapouri? It's about 20 minutes from Te Anau and where the Doubtful Sound cruises originate as a boat trip across Lake Manapouri.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,461 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay in the June????

www.wotif.com/search/Advanced…

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,465 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay in the June????

Te Anau or Manapouri would be ideal.

If you post your budget I might be able to help - I've just recently done quite a bit of research on both areas for an upcoming trip. We stayed at Birchwood Cottages in Te Anau last June - nice place.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,820 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay in the June????

Manapouri is where the cruise ends but not as many accommodation options there. . But Te anau is a very popular tourist town with motels and hotels, cafes and restaurants everywhere. while it does quieten down in Winter it still has a lot to offer. Try the Top 10 holiday park or any other holiday park in Te Anau as they have cabins. Village Inn has a range of options as well.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
355 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay in the June????

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The Holiday Park was one that I was considering, same with Birchwood, but was trying to find a B& B (in the $100-120 NZ range) so that we would be able to just get up in the AM have a nice breakfast before getting on the road to the Catlins. Thanks Melqn8 for the feedback on Birchwood, I had seen some mixed reviews, so it is good to know that you found it nice.

I've been doing a lot of looking both in Te Anau or Manapouri but as I mentioned when I had two sets of reservations cancelled on me, that's when I asked for help.

So the other part of my question, is whether we should just skip Te Anau altogether, as well as any points further on toward Milford Sound. I thought perhaps by staying in Te Anau, we might be able to get up in the morning and go up the road a bit toward Milford -- maybe as far as Te Anau downs and then turn around and head to the Catlins. If we don't go to Te Anau to stay after the cruise, I'm guessing we won't explore any further than Manapouri -- which might be OK, especially given that it is the start of winter and the need for snow tires and chains on the rental car, I'm just not sure. Thoughts?

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,465 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay in the June????

Regarding mixed reviews of Birchwood - the accommodation varies widely depending on which cottage - I read the same reviews as you and made sure that I knew exactly what I was booking. We got a good rate there last June.

I've just read two good reviews for Cosy Kiwi B&B in Te Anau on another travel forum, you might take a look there. We loved our stay at The Croft B&B, but they're above $120.

It gets dark quite early in June, it makes a lot of sense to stay overnight in Manapouri or Te Anau - they're not that far apart - there will be more food options in Te Anau.

Having said that, we're planning to book at this place in Manapouri in August - I've read good things and they're within your budget, so you might want to take a look.

manapouriaccommodation.co.nz/take-the-tour/

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,820 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay in the June????

village Inn in Te Anau have a two night superior room special incl breakfast on Grabone. Www.grabone.co.nz It has some amazing deals for meals, activities and accommodation. You do have to check the fine print for expiry dates and restrictions, but this one is valid until end of June. Worth checking out as sounds like it would suit your needs.

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to stay in the June????

June is the low season for accommodation, and as you have found, some motels etc may be closed as the owners will be in Australia enjoying some well needed rest and sunshine. You may be struggling to get accommodaton below $100. even in the low season. After all the motel still has to cover it's costs, and heating etc is more expensive in the winter. Also, wages & overheads still have to be paid.

You will have absolutely no problem finding accommodation. Even if some of the motels are closed there will still be plenty of choice. As a rule Motels are cheaper than B&B's.

I wouldn't recomend driving only as far as Te Anau Downs. At that point you are only starting to get to the good stuff, so either do the full drive to Milford, or at least as far as the tunnel; or just head straight to the SSR.

Check out www.WOTIF.com closer to the time for last minute sepcials.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
355 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where to stay in the June????

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I'll keep checking the WOTIF and grabone sites, but in the meantime, Hotels.com just sent some specials out that might work for us -- I'm not usually one for chains but it looks like Distinction TeAnau and the Kingsgate have some very good rates right now, especially the latter. However, I'm a little hesitant about Kingsgate given the some of the TA reviews.

Thanks vbc for the reassurance about availability of places to stay, that lets me focus on the other destinations for now (oh, and finding a rental car). I certainly understand that innkeepers need a vacation, I think it is one of things that keeps us from starting a B&B ourselves.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,482 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where to stay in the June????

Kingsgate is OK - a bit old and not flash, but likely to be one of the cheapest options you will find. Its owner runs its own discounting website at http://www.besthoteldeals.co.nz.