We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which cruise on Milford Sound?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
28 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
which cruise on Milford Sound?

I in wondering which criuse to select at Milford sound for our family. we are planning to be there just after new year. How for ahead should we book?

Mentioned in this post
Milford Sound
Milford Sound
4,627 Reviews
Te Anau, New Zealand
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,988 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which cruise on Milford Sound?

Hi :)

All the boats do the same route in the same order as this reduces congestion on the water. So while there can be a lot of boats out on the fiord at one time you might only see one or two others on your trip.

Some trips offer lunch, some not. Take a look at the websites and see which appeals to you. The last cruise I did was with Mitre Peak Cruises who were great. They have one of the smaller boats.

When to book? That's a tough one. This question is asked periodically and as no one ever comes back later saying what they did and how it all went - it's difficult to give an informed answer. I usually suggest booking once you arrive in Milford, but early Jan will be busy. But if you book too early you won't know the weather. Personally I love Milford in foul weather, I think it a little less interesting in clear sky weather. Plus photos are stunning when all dark and moody with hundreds of waterfalls. So take a gamble - book early and assure you have the boat you want with unknown weather. Or wait and book a few days in advance when the weather is known but your preferred boat might already be fully booked. I'll leave that decision up to you.

Best of luck :)

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: which cruise on Milford Sound?

There are four or five different cruise companies that work out of Milford Sound. Each of these companies will make at least 3 or 4 departures each day.

Hence there is no need to book.

Mentioned in this post
Milford Sound
Milford Sound
4,627 Reviews
Te Anau, New Zealand
UK
Level Contributor
427 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which cruise on Milford Sound?

Not all cruises stop at the underwater observatory, which your children might enjoy.

The last one we did was a Nature Cruise - same route as the others but a smaller boat so it got closer to the rocks at the side of the fiord and to the waterfalls (in fact it goes UNDER the waterfalls, so take head-to-toe waterproofs if you want to sit outside!).

Hope that helps

Oz
Level Contributor
14,085 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which cruise on Milford Sound?

Hi,

Having visited both sounds over the last few years I would recommend Doubtfull over Milford. Both are spectacular and at the time of the year you are visiting you probably should book now and hope for good weather.

Cheers,

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
102 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which cruise on Milford Sound?

they all do the same route. i took Jucy Cruise. only NZD65 dollar. no need to book in advance. just buy on the spot....

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
228 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which cruise on Milford Sound?

As they are all travel the same route; as the experts said - can just take whatever available. But, if you are keen to save some money and don't mind booking ahead of time - check out http://bookme.co.nz/bookings/queenstown/home as they offered many discount for Milford cruises (including if you want to take coach or fly)

7. Re: which cruise on Milford Sound?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, December 18, 2013