We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milford or Doubtful Sound?

Dusseldorf, Germany
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Milford or Doubtful Sound?

Hello experts,

we are looking at doing an overnight cruise on one of the sounds end of dec.

I have done a day cruise on Milford a few years ago and very much liked it but my husband has never been to NZ so we are open to anything and are looking for the most amazing nature experience!

I do hear that people recommend Doubtful over Milford!

Do you agree?

Curious to hear your responses and a hint on the best company to use!!

Thanks!!

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,398 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Milford or Doubtful Sound?

Hi carman76

If i was doing a day trip, Milford Sound would be my choice but for the overnight I would choose Doubtful Sound. There are other companies that offer overnight on Doubtful Sound but i have only used Real Journeys and they were great.

Enjoy.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Milford or Doubtful Sound?

Yep, totally agree. Milford Sound by day, Doubtful Sound if staying overnight.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,047 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Milford or Doubtful Sound?

I vote Doubtful Sound also. We did a few things with Real Journeys. Every one was very well done and the overnight on Doubtful sound was fabulous. Don't skip the kayaking even if it is raining, and take protective gear so you can go outside if its pouring rain too. I can't imagine a place I would rather be out in the pouring rain. The fiord is wonderful when there's a storm, then you can come back in and it's so cosy and warm and they feed you really well too. :o)

Edited: 12:47 am, December 02, 2010
Dusseldorf, Germany
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Milford or Doubtful Sound?

Thanks guys!!! We just booked Doubtful overnight! Yehhh!

5. Re: Milford or Doubtful Sound?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 01, 2011