We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walk from rosthwaite to grange

Which Buttermere hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
canada west coast
Level Contributor
71 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
walk from rosthwaite to grange

I am hoping to do this walk in May, but am a little unsure of the Castle Crag bit (or to be more honest, it's my stamina I'm unsure of!) Does the path give you the option to bypass the summit route?

3 replies to this topic
Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,502 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: walk from rosthwaite to grange

The normal route from Rosthwaite to Grange mostly follows the river and goes nowhere near the summit of Castle Crag. There is a bit of a climb up past the old quarry - suggest you look at the footpath on a 1:25000 map.

canada west coast
Level Contributor
71 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: walk from rosthwaite to grange

Many thanks Rail, it was the quarry climb I had meant, not Castle Crag...blame it on a sleepless night! Just noticed too that I had posted this to the Buttermere forum instead of Borrowdale! Too many dales and meres!

We may decide to opt for the Rosthwaite to Seatoller route which I think is pretty level and hopefully just as scenic...

Lake District...
Level Contributor
589 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: walk from rosthwaite to grange

By Lake District standards the walk is not strenuous and could be considered almost flat ! A quick re-check on the map suggest well under a 100m of ascent is involved.

There is 1 path to the east of Castle Crag and 1 to the west so a circular route is possible with tea rooms at both Grange and Rosthwaite

Reply to: walk from rosthwaite to grange
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Buttermere