We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saariselka with Thomsons?

Which Saariselka hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Stranraer, United...
Level Contributor
235 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Saariselka with Thomsons?

Hello,

We're off to Saariselka with Thomsons on 4 Dec. So excited!!!

I wondered if anyone had done the trip and knew roughly about the itinerary please.

-Do we get snowsuits at airport or do we get them at the hotel? Whilst my son has a full snow suit and boots we(adults) don't have waterproof trousers .Will this be ok just for thetransfer do you think? We have warm clothes,ski jackets and boots.

- Is the visit to Santa resort the next day?

-How long are the husky rides /reindeer rides.What else is on the day? What order is it in?

- Did anyone go on the elf adventure. I'm taking my son ,4, on it .I've seen mixed reviews but thought we'd give it a go. will this be on the Friday or Saturday do you know?

-did you book any extra husky or reindeer rides? So pricey with Thomson! I've looked at North village but not sure whether just to leave it and do tobogganning . We do like exploring /wandering and seeing how it goes -we don't need to be fully booked with activities all day/ every day

Thank you !

London, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Saariselka with Thomsons?

Hi Anne, cant help with your question Im afraid but we are also going to Saariselka with Thomsons on 4th December too!! I also have a 4 year old as well as 10 month old baby, so very interested in the responses. Where are you staying?

Stranraer, United...
Level Contributor
235 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Saariselka with Thomsons?

Hello LovinLondon

Thanks for your response.We're staying at the Snowflake hotel in one of the apartments .Where are you staying? We're flying from Manchester.

Is your 4 year old excited? Mine is though doesn't really understand the concept of time and that it's 3 weeks away!

London, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Saariselka with Thomsons?

We are also staying in an apartment at Snowflake, flying from London!! My son also hasnt quite got his mind around it, but keeps asking to write a letter to santa!! Is yours a boy or girl? Glad to know there will be other young kids. Have you sorted out all the clothing etc? Still trying to work out whether we need a snow suit for the kids or not. Going to take thermals, fleece tops and bottoms, hats gloves mittens socks etc. Debating on the boots for my son, and still trying to work out how much I need to take for my 10 month old girl. Manni

Stranraer, United...
Level Contributor
235 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Saariselka with Thomsons?

Hello

I have son too-that's great there'll be other children his own age too. He already has a snowsuit and boots but his dad,daughter and I haven't.Just taking warm coats as hoping transfer won't be cold.

I've got loads of thermal socks and base layer for us all.Gloves,hats ,scarves, fleeces .It's trousers I'm struggling with. Leggings and tights and even fleece pyjamas but no outer layers really.

Have you booked any excursions? We're going on the elf adventure which ismeant to be ok for smaller children. So excited ,counting the days!!

London, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Saariselka with Thomsons?

I bought my sons fleece trousers from little trekkers as part of a set as well as a couple of fleece onsies from mothercare which im hoping do the trick. Havent been as successful for hubby and I, and currently trying to find some! As for excursions I read here on trip advisor the elf adventure wasnt that great and it put me off :( Im hoping to do a husky and reindeer safari, but not sure if there is an age restriction with my baby. I have emailed lapland safaris and awaiting their response. Other than that, just hoping to enjoy the snow and seeing my sons excitement!! Although at the moment I think I am more excited than him :)

Stranraer, United...
Level Contributor
235 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Saariselka with Thomsons?

I looked at husky safari too ,think the children have to sit in a separate sleigh with the other children-

I wasn't sure about that. I saw the bad review about the elf adventure but figure we can have a walk round or make snowmen if it's not great :)

I'm more excited than my son too-can't wait . I booked it last December so it seems so long ago now!

London, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Saariselka with Thomsons?

Have you worked out what the itenarary is? Im not sure when we have free time to be able to book the excursions for, and who did you book with?

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Saariselka with Thomsons?

Normal clothing/trousers - even jeans - with long legged thermal underwear will suffice for the transfers, but will not be suitable for spending extended periods of time outdoors, let alone on excursions. They usually have some sort of a welcome meeting upon your arrival where you can book excursions with Thomson's reps.

Stranraer, United...
Level Contributor
235 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Saariselka with Thomsons?

Hi, I think the Santa day is on the Thursday. I've booked the elf adventure with Thomsons so presuming it will be on one ofthe other days :)

London, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Saariselka with Thomsons?

Are the excursions cheaper with the agents or booking independently?