We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bahia beaches

Which Itacare hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
bahia beaches

Itacare, barra grande or morro de sao paolo, which is nicest please?

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: bahia beaches

There is no "nicest". There is a whole coast line of beaches, each with a slightly different character, but most, quite lovely. Any comments are purely subjective, and since you do not know the folks giving the opinions, relatively useless.

Itacare caters to a lot of surfers, some foreign, But, for example, a Brazilian friend went there with her husband and two small children and hated it, citing the preponderance of drugged out hippies as very ugly. Many others speak of it as paradise. It is not far from a main highway/bus route, and relatively accessible from the south (Rio) or north (Salvador)..

Barra Grande is lesser known because it is still more difficult to access, especially for foreign travellers using public transport. This can be seen as an advantage to some. Access is by a system of ferries, buses, small boats or expensive private flights. For a first-timer, a more accessible location might do just as well.

Morro do Sao Paulo is relatively convenient to access from Salvador, and has become popular for its party-hearty atmosphere, especially after Carnaval, and it's miles of beaches. During low season, I find it pleasant, and the slower ferry/bus/boat transport option very scenic. During high season, I myself avoid it and go somewhere more tranquil.

I don't think these comments or any that follow should be used in any way to base your decision on.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bahia beaches

thanks for your comments. I'm going in january so do you think morro would be packed, even beach 4?

Of course an opinion is only one persons thoughts, same as a guide book, but i'm sure if i had a few responses there would be common themes that might help me make a decision. Some opinions are better than none aren't they? thanks nikki

Salvador
Level Contributor
456 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: bahia beaches

I'd be more inclined to base my decision on

1) How much time you have available

2) Where else and what else you are interested in seeing ( if anything) in the immediate area.

as #1 points out Barra Grande is the most difficult o get to via public transport, you will kill the better part of a day just getting there from Salvador, presuming that is your point of departure. With plenty of time up my sleeve for transit, I'd be inclined to take the over night bus ( or fly) to Porto Seguro and then bus it on to Trancoso or Caraiva myself.

MSP is easily the handiest of the three and better for a shorter trip.

Pretty much everywhere on the coast is busy at that time of year and there are considerably fewer options at Barra Grande or Itacaré than MSP.

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: bahia beaches

January is a month when many Brazilians travel.

Fourth beach can be quite windy, and you will probably need to use transport to get there It's a long walk. I thought Vila Corais ideal, at the quieter, prettier end of Third Beach.

Itacare
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: bahia beaches

Morro is ok for a couple of days, much more intersting is Itacare and Barra Grande, There is a brdge now across the Contas travel time on the BR001 is 3 and a half hours from the ferry boat. I was told last night (unverified) that bus tickets from Salvador-Itacare using the new BR001 are now only R$25,00 one way.

Barra Grande is very easy to get to from Itacare.

Jan is high high season book early and be prepared to pay high where ever you decide to go.

6. Re: bahia beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, May 29, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Itacare