We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Half Moon Cay (Little San Salvador Island) - Carnival Cruise

charleston, South...
1 post
Save Topic
Half Moon Cay (Little San Salvador Island) - Carnival Cruise

I'm going on my first cruise ever. One of our stops is Half Moon Cay, aka, Little San Salvador Island.

Any updates or rx as to what to do there?

45 replies to this topic
Conway, Arkansas
Level Contributor
18 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Half Moon Cay (Little San Salvador Island) - Carnival Cruise

Half Moon Cay is gorgeous! This has got to be one of the most beautiful places on Earth! You would be crazy to not get off the ship here and miss out on the beauty of this island.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
99 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Half Moon Cay (Little San Salvador Island) - Carnival Cruise

I find it amazing anyone could have a bad day on this island. I have been to many cruise ship private islands and this is the nicest one in the Caribbean with white soft sand and crystal clear water. The food is good with a great variety but not fancy (it's a barbecue). This was obviously written by someone who is miserable and has health problems. Very typical of the HAL crowd and I know because I have taken two HAL cruises. Anyone who has a bad day at Half Moon cay lives life looking at the glass half empty instead of half full.

New Brunswick
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Half Moon Cay (Little San Salvador Island) - Carnival Cruise

My family will be going on a Bahamas Cruise in May 2013 and will be stopping at Nassau and Half Moon Cay. Wich is better for snorkelling? Should we go with an excursion or can we go on our own? Is there a lunch included in Half Moon Cay or do we have to pay?

Mooresville, NC
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Half Moon Cay (Little San Salvador Island) - Carnival Cruise

Cruised on HAL in December with visit to Half Moon Cay. We have been there several times before as well as Nassau. We liked the snorkelling in Nassau very much. As for Half Moon Cay, we're not much for sitting on a beach chair. If you are going to snorkle, snorkeliing from the swimming area will only get you wet -- not much fish life there and nothing else to look at except other people swimming... which is what it is good for. Take the snorkelling excursion offered by the ship (for a fee) as it will take you in a boat out to a beautiful reef with fish and coral. There is a free barbque available on the island but watch your time as it closes early. An alternative to the snorkelling excursion is the Kayak Eco Tour as you paddle around a lagoon and your guide will point out various fish, corals and wildlife. The glass bottom boat goes in there too and is fun if you just want to sit. More active is the "Eco-Bike and Hike" on which you get to ride bikes around, then get off them for a while and climb through the foliage to the top of the island while viewing old settler's ruins and the natural life that calls the place home. Don't stay on the ship. There's too much to see if you can appreciate it.

New Brunswick
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Half Moon Cay (Little San Salvador Island) - Carnival Cruise

Thanks you nc2racce for your reply, I will definetly book an snorkelling excursion with my family as I enjoy swimming with the fish and traking tons of pictures.

Hurricane, West...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Half Moon Cay (Little San Salvador Island) - Carnival Cruise

This sounds like a perfect day on the beach! Are there vendors selling cold drinks? Does Carnival offer anything like food, drink, bathroom facilities? Never been to this island and I don't know what to expect. Should I book an excursion? Sand, water and beverage make us happy.

Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Half Moon Cay (Little San Salvador Island) - Carnival Cruise

Just got back and wish I was back there again. Best place ever. The softest sand and most beautiful water you have ever seen. Take a walk around the island and listen to the beautiful bird sounds. Sit at the bars and enjoy good dance or reggae while enjoying a frozen drink. The food was good. Only bad part was the shopping or lack of anything good to buy. Perfect beach day.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Half Moon Cay (Little San Salvador Island) - Carnival Cruise

I love this little island and booked my next cruise specifically for this port. It is a beautiful beach and if you like to relax on vacation like I do, it's great. No trying to figure out where to go or what to see. You get tendered in to a beautiful beach with turquoise water and soft white sand and a few beach bars without hoards of people trying to get you on their taxi or to take their tour as many other ports are. I will be renting a cabana next time but last time I really enjoyed floating on a raft or lounging in a beach chair. This port is made for relaxation. I cannot imagine that staying on the ship would be a better option but we all have our own idea of enjoyment.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Half Moon Cay (Little San Salvador Island) - Carnival Cruise

I am hoping to get a cabana somewhere between number 3 (turquoise) and number 8 (pink). Does anyone have a favorite cabana location?

Vincentown
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Half Moon Cay (Little San Salvador Island) - Carnival Cruise

Did you go on the Eco-Bike ride? We are considering it and wondering if it was worth it.

Reply to: Half Moon Cay (Little San Salvador Island) - Carnival Cruise
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Little San Salvador...