We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September 2014 & walking

Birmingham
Level Contributor
70 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
September 2014 & walking

We're looking at Finikounda for September 2014, really like the look of the Panorama Resort for two weeks from the 7th or 14th. Some of the older reviews on here are complaining that there's a 'shutting up around you' kind of feel by mid September. Can anyone confirm if we'd be ok going 14th to 28th or should we look at the earlier date?

Also, can anyone let me know what the area is like for walking? We like to get off the beaten track a bit, I know there is some walking in this area (have I read about a local walk book or am I thinking of somewhere else?) but I'm not sure exactly what there is.

Any advice would be great. thanks!

Suffolk, UK
Level Contributor
950 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: September 2014 & walking

Just got back from 2 weeks in Messinia. Finikounda certainly didn't feel as though it was "shutting down" although obviously it's not as busy as in July/August. I'm not a walker, so can't help there but it is worth bearing in mind that the temperature regularly gets into the low 30s throughout September, so you might want to avoid the middle of the day!

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
437 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: September 2014 & walking

We are also going in June 2014 (questions to follow!). As usual I have started a "fact sheet" from the postings here on the forum and this is one I have saved. Sorry but I can't remember who posted it or when.

"There is a booklet of seven local walks starting and finishing in Finikounda which is available from Yiannis bar (opposite Dionyssos taverna by the harbour) for 3 Euros.

Hoping it is still available for when we go.

Birmingham
Level Contributor
70 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: September 2014 & walking

Thanks for your replies - I knew I'd read about a walk book somewhere! We've booked the Panorama Resort for 2wks from 7/9/14. I also like to do a 'fact sheet' - its all part of the fun isn't it, doing all the research. Couldn't imagine holidays without Tripadviser!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: September 2014 & walking

I was going to enquire about this very thing, whether or not Finikounda starts shutting down in Sept I mean, not the walking aspect of the post.

Some of the reviews of Panorama on TA suggest that even well in to June there is an unready feel about both the village itself and, these apartments.

It seems many Greeks holiday there and I know the kids in Greece tend to go back to school at some point between the 1st and 2nd week in September, so like Karen, I was worried that the same sort of thing might be happening from mid September.

I do like quiet, but not ghost town quiet.

So I hope one or two others can confirm there's still plenty going on, because we are quite keen to go there next year and if we do, it will have to be September.

Carmarthen, United...
Level Contributor
365 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: September 2014 & walking

We have been several times in September, The 1st week if it incudes bank holiday monday was still busy and the english visitors tended to be a lot of people working in education getting a holiday in before going back to school. after that it was more mature couples, still plenty of people around. As it is a lived in village not just a tourist resort everywhere will still be open.

Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: September 2014 & walking

If you are interested in doing any walking around Finikounda, it's worth getting hold of the Pylia of Messinia map in the Step by Step series, which costs around €6 and is available in several shops in Fini. The scale is 1:55000 which is pretty walker-friendly. It's not entirely accurate or consistent, with regard to some of the agricultural tracks or dirt roads (of which there are many), but you'll not go far wrong.

There's a good day-long (6-7 hours) walk over hills behind Fini via the smaller villages of Lachanada and Gianoukakeika to Kalithea, a larger place with a couple of bars and tavernas, and then back through Evagelismos and Dendroulia. Take proper footware, water and sun protection. It's not hard going mainly through olive groves, orchards and vineyards. You'll see some spectacular butterflies, wild tortoises and lizards, possibly snakes too.

A shorter walk from Fini takes you over to the old medieval tower which is visible on the far side of the bay. If you get to the tower, there's a brilliant secluded beach directly below. You have to go quite long way round to reach it, but it'well worthwhile. On the walk to (or from) the tower, don't miss the little taverna in Loutsa, pretty much how Grece was 30 years ago.

Edited: 5:20 pm, August 23, 2014
Birmingham
Level Contributor
70 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: September 2014 & walking

Thanks for the info Dave, will look for the map as soon as we get there - less than two weeks to go now. Do you have any other useful information - favourite restaurants, bars etc? I've created my own info pack by taking anything useful from here and other sites, but if there's any other 'must have/must see/must do tips to pass on, I'd welcome them.

Thanks and regards,

Karen

Eindhoven
Level Contributor
3 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: September 2014 & walking

I would also like to recommend a walking guide called "Endaxi No Thanks, we're walking!". More info here: greecetravel.com/peloponessos/messinia.htm

I really liked it.

Shrewsbury, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: September 2014 & walking

Karen

As you might imagine, everyone ends up deciding on their favourite spots to eat in Finikounda - there are some really good places. It's hard not to like the Elena for it's location and view, but there is a sense that they rsst on their laurels when it comes to the cooking, although the lamb cooked in lemon is excellent.

Our favourite, much more low-key and understated, was Benetiko, at the other end of town, which its own sea-view. Mr Thasos Babylis looks after each of his customers and takes an individual interest. The food is very good, but make sure you order clearly - that way you'll avoid getting cod-fish when you wanted cuttle-fish (both excellent, by the way!)

Enjoy your trip - not long now!

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
437 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: September 2014 & walking

Another vote for Benetico. Below an extract from our trip report in June.

There is a good range of eating places and we did not have a bad meal. No chuckers in and no plastic pictures of plastic food! All said they had a somewhat limited menu as the season was still young. We tried most of them (not Medusa , To Steki, no view of the sea, and the pizza place up a side street as they seemed to concentrate on take away). My best meal was Kleftico in the To Kapabi and the wife’s Imam in Elena. Our favourite was the Benetiko which was left at the front and then the first one with an open platform overlooking the beach. It was smaller and seemed a fraction more authentic. It also had a nice calm atmosphere and was a very friendly family run place. You also get a complimentary sweet. One night we had a particularly nice meal with two beers and a lovely complimentary mixed ice cream sweet and the bill came to 18 euros. We left a good tip and he came after us to say it was too much! It took some persuading him that we wanted to leave that much. For two mains (one vegetarian), two beers and sometimes coffee (not many did espresso only Greek) and two sweets the lowest we paid was 16 euros and the most 28.

Have a great time and let us know how you get on.

Get answers to your questions about Finikounda
Recent Conversations