We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whatever happened to Sandy Bay Beach Club, aka Sandy Beach

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
197 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Whatever happened to Sandy Bay Beach Club, aka Sandy Beach

I was just curious if anyone knows what has happened to the Sandy Beach Resort, which became the Sandy Bay Beach Club? It was located in Worthing, Christ Church Parish.

I saw in the forums that it had horrid reviews in 2004-2006, and was reported closed in 2010.

My family traveled to Barbados way back in the 1990's and stayed there and loved it. We are now planning another visit to Barbados, and for nostalgia's sake, I'm just curious to know what happened to the place we had so much fun at when I was in Junior High.

Thanks,

Jennifer

Mentioned in this post
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
197 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Whatever happened to Sandy Bay Beach Club, aka Sandy Beach

Oddly enough, I was relaying this sad news to my parents tonight, and I said, hey wish we had the money to buy and renovate the place. Such great memories of our stay there. I can vividly see the pool and beach, and watersports rental hut in my mind. I can even remember one night the power went out, and we were rummaging for candles. Something so silly, but part of an incredible stay.

Christ Church...
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Whatever happened to Sandy Bay Beach Club, aka Sandy Beach

Jennifero2,

Sadly YES!

Barbados has 'lost' over 100,000 long stay visitors over the last five years. Over 33,000 alone last year, at a time when growth of tourism in the Caribbean 'outpaced the rest of the world' in 2012, according to the Chairwoman of the Caribbean Tourism Organisation, Beverly Nicholson-Doty. Its a multi-fold problem but at the end of the day we have too many square pegs in round holes and WE need to change this.

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
London, United...
Level Contributor
831 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Whatever happened to Sandy Bay Beach Club, aka Sandy Beach

As a regular visitor to Barbados I've clearly noticed the decline in the number of visitors over the years. This post about Sandy Bay has bought back some lovely memories to me of when Barbados was a really thriving destination. It bought back memories of when the bars and restaurants in St Lawrence Gap were packed to the rafters and all the hotels were full. Before it closed, the Ship Inn in SLG was in a fairly sorry state, the outside area was redundant and the inside had only a handfull of people drinking at the bar, back in the days of Sandy Bay being open you could barely get in to the place it was that full. And that goes for all the other bars in SLG as well.

I still love going to Barbados and over the years I've accpeted that it's never going to get back to how it was in those halcyon days in the 90's and early 2000's. The World has become a much smaller place in terms of accessibility, travelling to far flung places has become much easier since then, there is far more choice of places for people to explore at the same cost of travelling to Barbados.

I think that Barbados has missed a bit of a trick when it comes to tourism, when it was good it was very good but you should never rest on your laurels, never think that because you're busy one year you can just sit back and that you'll be busy next year as well. You have to continue to improve your offering in order to keep up with the competition. I think this is where Barbados has let itself down a bit by stagnating. There will always be repeat visitors, like myself, but the key is attracting new visitors and making them return year after year.

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,313 posts
355 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Whatever happened to Sandy Bay Beach Club, aka Sandy Beach

p_buxton

Some very key points there. Well said.

Regards

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
197 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Whatever happened to Sandy Bay Beach Club, aka Sandy Beach

So, silly question...somewhat unrelated to the Sandy Beach hotel. I am noticing that many of the villas we are looking to rent for our stay, mention night-watchmen and security guards. Is this just normal things that are provided, or is safety an issue when not staying at a hotel.

Not that I live in crime-free Nirvana, so please don't take this question the wrong way.

Jen

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
197 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Whatever happened to Sandy Bay Beach Club, aka Sandy Beach

So, silly question...somewhat unrelated to the Sandy Beach hotel. I am noticing that many of the villas we are looking to rent for our stay, mention night-watchmen and security guards. Is this just normal things that are provided, or is safety an issue when not staying at a hotel.

Not that I live in crime-free Nirvana, so please don't take this question the wrong way.

Jen

17. Re: Whatever happened to Sandy Bay Beach Club, aka Sandy Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 pm, January 20, 2015