We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milk!

south east
Level Contributor
939 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Milk!

Have heard that Pinehill are no longer producing fresh milk - only long life (UHT) which they label as 'fresh milk', even though it doesn't need to be refrigerated, and keeps for weeks in the cupboard! Is this correct? We can't stand this type of milk, so wondered if anyone knows if it is possible to buy 'real' fresh milk anywhere?

Ontario
Level Contributor
720 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Milk!

There's some places listed here.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/topic.php?uid=120125688020705&topic=117

Edited: 4:23 pm, June 22, 2010
south east
Level Contributor
939 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Milk!

Thanks for that Acton - seems a lot of people are not happy about this new milk situation. Just got to figure out how we can store half a gallon at a time! Guess we will have to put in containers and freeze down if possible! Let's hope Pinehill see sense and start producing the fantastic 'real fresh milk' they always produced before! (Just like the milk we buy in England - not the stuff you get on the continent!)

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,912 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Milk!

it's ultra pasteurized not Ultra high temp - 2 different process.. the taste is not the same.. but it's a little creamier tasting and has a slight cooked taste. the packaging is what give's it it's shelf life as it doesn't allow for air or light to get through.. now maybe I've bought into the whole thing, but in my opinion, it's not as bad as some as saying. I don't like the taste of UHT milk, but I don't mind this one. If you are not drinking a glass every 5 minutes, then it's not an issue as far as in your coffee or tea.. and shouldn't be an issue in your cereal either.

others my disagree. PHD has taken out all the old equipment.. soo the likelihood of them going back is slim to none..

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,069 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Milk!

Sunni

Have you tried to mix choc milk powder into that milk? Does it mix or stand on top? We used to get that super processed milk when I lived in Japan and when you tried to make Choc milk for the kids it was horrible. Just stood on top. ICK.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,912 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Milk!

not tried mixing the powder choco into it.. however, I find my son loves the PHD Chocolate Milk now and didn't before. I guess it's all in the taste buds.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,069 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Milk!

PHD Choco milk isn't too bad. My kids always liked it.

south east
Level Contributor
939 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Milk!

Seems there are quite a few mixed reports - some friends hate it and some say they barely notice the difference - guess we will just have to try it ourselves and form our own opinions! Thanks for your help guys!

Ancaster,Canada
Level Contributor
336 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Milk!

Would like to hear from those people who are fresh pasturized milk drinkers. Are you able to find fresh milk in the Supercenters grocery stores?

One of my friends drinks a lot of milk through out the day and we use it in our tea and coffee and for cooking. Had read that Pinehill was not producing it anymore and that the only kind available would be the high-heat treated milk. How does it compare in taste? and cost? What size are the containers that the new milk comes in? Is this new milk kept on the store shelves without refridgeration?

Some feedback on the "new milk" would be appreciated since I havent heard anything since last June

Thank-you

Blue

Holetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
12,869 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Milk!

I only use milk ( the low fat variety ) on my cereal but I really haven't noticed much difference to be honest.

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,374 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Milk!

Personally I hated the "new" milk in my tea, so only used a tiny bit but it was OK on cereal. Wouldn't choose it over normal pasteurised milk if there was a choice.