We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portinatx -jelly fish

Bushey, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Portinatx -jelly fish

Does anyone know how the Jelly Fish situation is in Portinatx? We travel on the 17th if August for 1 week then onto PDB for 3 nights at the end.. Thanks Sophie

ibiza
Destination Expert
for Ibiza, Sant Antoni de Portmany
Level Contributor
3,587 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Portinatx -jelly fish

i'm afraid that anything more than a 10 day jelly fish forecast is a little unreliable so maybe you should ask again in a week or so

mm

Bushey, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portinatx -jelly fish

Do you know if there is somewhere I can find this info?

Everywhere
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Portinatx -jelly fish

It is a weather related issue, winds and currents etc.

Dundee, Scotland
Level Contributor
18 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Portinatx -jelly fish

Just home yesterday from Portinatx. The small beach at Paradise Beach Hotel end of Portinatx was worst affected. My son got very badly stung on our first day there. Fortunately he was wearing a rash vest so his chest & back were spared. Staff at hotel were excellent & promptly treated him with about a litre of ammonia. Husband scuba dived just off small beach and says he saw thousands on sea bed. Only saw one or two at main beach over the fortnight we were there. Depends on weather though.

Bushey, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Portinatx -jelly fish

Thanks

Ibiza
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Portinatx -jelly fish

I live on Ibiza island and find your question very very funny. It is just like asking forecasts for ants or gulls or sharks!!!!

Dundee, Scotland
Level Contributor
18 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Portinatx -jelly fish

I disagree. Been holidaying abroad for more than 30 years and have never encountered jelly fish like we did in Portinatx.

Bushey, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Portinatx -jelly fish

Hi Ann, i like that you find my question funny. I also find it quite funny... :)

Its only that i have seen on a series of forums that say the Jelly fish situation in Ibiza is bad because fishermen are no longer paid to catch them. I have holidayed in Portinatx more times than i can count, but not in the past 8-10 years. I just wondered if anything has changed. I remember one day with big winds and the next day jelly fish invasion but only one day in all those many times...

Has anything changed in the past 10 years?

Bucharest
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Portinatx -jelly fish

hello,

has anyone been recently in portinatx? how is the situation with the jellyfish? We will be there tomorrow and we are a bit concerned

Thanks

Level Contributor
35 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Portinatx -jelly fish

I have heard about fishermen trying to get the dangerous specimens when sighted but not the run of the mill jellyfish. It certainly has to do with sea currents more than human intervention. Personally when I like to take a dip I just go into water with my underwater mask, take a 360º scanning and move with that information.

Get answers to your questions about Portinatx