We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Information on Porto Palo ??!

Hereford, United...
Level Contributor
177 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Information on Porto Palo ??!

Hi All!

I"m needing some advice, please!!

Our large family of 11 ranging from 85 to 4 years of age are considering a holiday in a villa near Porto Palo next August!

Are there many restaurants/cafes in Porto Palo? Is it mainly pizza and pasta places, as 2 of our family members are vegetarians!

I have heard the beach is lovely, safe and sandy. Is this right as we have 5 children amongst us and they LOVE the sea and sand!!

Our villa is situated just off the SP79, is this road on a bus route from Porto Palo to Menfi?

Thank you in advance for any information you could give me and look forward to any replies!!!

3 replies to this topic
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,111 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Information on Porto Palo ??!

We were in Menfi for two weeks in September, I have a travel report it you want to read it, and were very close to Porto Palo and visited it several times. Will you have a car? I think you will struggle without. No idea on the bus routes around there, we drove everywhere, but it is very rural.

We actually only visited the centre of Porto Palo once and it looked a bit run down and we saw two Pizzeria type places. We headed slightly out to Da Vittorio which we liked, it is a small Italian seaside hotel, lovely clean beach, in fact my screen saver is now a photo from the terrace there. Nice terrace for a drink and very much a fishy restaurant and a nice place to visit. We went there a few times.

There are other beaches in the area which are clean, award winners, though not particularly developed so you would have to take your stuff with you.

We discovered the beach at Sciacca which did have sun loungers and parasols, not so far away, great beach cafe/restaurant too.

Lovely countryside, very rural, lots of vineyards and olive groves, very peaceful. Agrigento an hour away, Selinunte etc less. Contact me if you want more info.

Edited: 12:29 pm, November 22, 2012
Hereford, United...
Level Contributor
177 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Information on Porto Palo ??!

Hi PennyW !

Thanks for that! Hmm? So really, Porto Palo, there is not much there?!!

What about Menfi? Is that a nice town? Much there?

Yes, we will have a car, to sightsee in the day, but really wanted to walk to different restaurants and bars in the evening, so we could have a few glasses of Italiano wine!!!!!!! Maybe not though, from what you are saying??!!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,111 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Information on Porto Palo ??!

The link to my trip report is tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g666980-i11924-k58… you may have already seen it. The thing with Menfi that we hadn't altogether realised was that it was just about flattened in an earthquake in 1968 and just about completely rebuilt, all out of concrete and to a grid pattern, so it was not a pretty little Italian town and we were just too far out to walk down. We only found a couple of pizzerias there and as it would involve driving didn't try either of them but self catered pretty much most days, we had a very well appointed villa which made it very easy, and the Conad supermarket in Menfi we found very good for most things. Fruit and veg was all over the place in town, amazing displays. The whole area is not at all developed so your (and our) plan of walking to different restaurants didn't happen. I wish we had discovered Sciacca earlier in our holiday, that might have had more of that.

Having said that we had a very pleasant and relaxing holiday and took in lots of culture, and the country scenery and coast is lovely, I feel most nostalgic when watching Montelbano and see the plants near the seaside and the blue blue sea and sky. If you have a really good villa stock it up and take picnics to the beach, and do visit Da Vittorio.

Reply to: Information on Porto Palo ??!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Menfi
More Menfi Topics