We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

restaurants in playa de fornells

w62
London
Level Contributor
844 posts
191 reviews
Save Topic
restaurants in playa de fornells

We are thinking of renting an apt in Playa Fornells next year. Although I realise Fornells itself has all the restaurants and bars etc, the accommodation at the playa suits us better - ie access to a pool, self catering apartment with sea views etc. I can't seem to find anything like that in Fornells itself. We are both exercise junkies so don't mind walking into Fornells and maybe getting a taxi back and we will also eat in. However, I am a bit confused by the varying descriptions of the availibility of restaurants in the playa area itself. Are there any? Does anyone know how many and what they are like? It would be nice to have the option of eating closer to the complex some evenings. Also confusing is the distance to Fornells. Some property sites say 40 min walk whilst the apartment owner states that it is a 25 min walk to Fornells. Anyone know? Is the walk along an accessible path or road?

If it all looks a bit gloomy, can anyone recommend a one bed apt with shared pool in Fornells itself?

Posidony
Boat Tours, Speed Boats Tours
Fornells Tower
Monuments & Statues, Lookouts
Pachira Tours
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Boat Rentals
Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
13,696 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: restaurants in playa de fornells

" accommodation ...access to a pool, self catering apartment with sea views etc. I can't seem to find anything like that in Fornells itself " Have you looked at the Es Castell apts in Fornells itself - see rierarossello.com/alquilar_apartamentos_chal… . - brilliant position overlooking the bay, pool and a short stroll from all the villiage bars and restaurants

Edited: 10:58 am, September 15, 2011
Brighton
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,479 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: restaurants in playa de fornells

Hi, Your choices are quite limited in P'd'F. There's the country club which I think is still open, maybe a couple of bars, but the Reclau resto' has been closed foa a few years now. You also have Margas at Ses Selinas midway betwen Fornells and P'd'F.

Distance - Hmm, I think 25 mins is ambitious, maybe 30 from the entrance of P'd'f to the outskirts of Fornells village, but the playa covers quite a large area so could be close to an hour from the far end to the centre of the village - at that point the coastal path may be a little quicker but it's very up and down and quite lumpy! Where exactly is the appartment you are looking at?

You say you want "access to a pool, self catering apartment with sea views etc.". You can certainly have all that in the village. Have a look here:

http://www.rierarossello.com/

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g666974-d5837…

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g666974-i11652-k…

JtheD

Brighton
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,479 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: restaurants in playa de fornells

Beat me to it MenReg!

JtheD

w62
London
Level Contributor
844 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: restaurants in playa de fornells

Thanks both! I will have a look.

The apt is in the Los Tamarindos complex. Doesn't sound too good in terms of restaurants etc. Thanks - best forewarned. I will definitely look at Fornells itself.

Thanks again,.

w62
London
Level Contributor
844 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: restaurants in playa de fornells

Hmm. Not finding much success. The rierarossello ones look fab but the only 1 bed properties have no pool access. I don't like massive apt blocks and what attracted us to Playa F was the standard of the apartments. I think I want the best of both worlds which doesn't seem to be possible- unless we decide that an hours walk is ok. Otherwise it looks like we will be stuck in a resort with no restaurants.

I may have to go back to the drawing board and get the map out!

North...
Level Contributor
488 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: restaurants in playa de fornells

Found this place on owner's direct site.I think it fits the bill?There seems to be a wide choice on that site, have you looked at it?

www.ownersdirect.co.uk/balearics/B4096.htm

London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: restaurants in playa de fornells

I know the Los Tamarindos blocks. PdF doesnt have too much in ways of bars/restaurants- it never got enough visitors I think sadly :-(

Is a lovely well maintained garden resort and the beach is special, just commercially it is a bit thin

Most accomm., in P d F is privately owned or a Hotel with on site restaurant. Owners generally have a hire car so they go to Ses Salines or Fornells

There is basic food at the Kaktus, and Okapi Bars in the middle of the resort

Or have a look at something at Ses Salines, little 'village' before Fornels at the Pd F turn off - there are two restuarants there plus apartment accommodation and it;s just a 20min walk up to Fornells itself even has a bit of mini beach, away from the boats that normally launch there. JTD would know more - I just took a look earlier this year

I think the Country restaurant JTD refers to was the Thai country club ( that relocated to Mahon Yacht club )

Edited: 1:12 pm, September 15, 2011
Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
13,696 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: restaurants in playa de fornells

The place Jewelofthenorth has found is in the Es Castell complex that I mentioned earlier which is in a prime position right on the edge of the waterfront.

W62, to be truthful I am not sure where you have got the idea that there is no pool availability in this complex with the one bedroom properties - for example rierarossello.com/… on the Riera Rossello site is a one bedroom property and the use of the complex's private pool IS mentioned.

Es Castell is not a large complex at all ( see pics on rierarossello.com/… for a front view pic taken with photographers back to the water) and I believe that they are all privately owned which makes each different inside- certainly none are available through UK packages so far as I am aware.

There is lots of accom in Fornells but not all is on the front line with views of the bay. If you want to locate somewhere that you are thinking of,why not send a private message to Jon-the-dog or his father Dogdad as they always stay in Fornells village themselves and should be able to pinpoint where anywhere you are thinking of is and give a frank assessment for you.

w62
London
Level Contributor
844 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: restaurants in playa de fornells

I think I looked at the wrong block. These look great. Thanks again.

w62
London
Level Contributor
844 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: restaurants in playa de fornells

Thanks everyone for your help. It has been invaluable and we have decided to go for an apt in Ses Salines which is closer to Fournells. It is in a small complex of only 8 other apartments and we are reassured by it having a couple of restaurants and only being a 15-20 min walk to Fournells. (I did look at Es Castell but the only one bedroom apt was already booked!)

Thanks again. I am glad I asked for advice as Playa DF would have been a disappointment.

The wonder of TA strikes again!

Tanya

Get answers to your questions about Fornells
Recent Conversations