We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Celeste Mtn. Lodge vs La Carolina

Parker, Colorado
Level Contributor
15 posts
43 reviews
Celeste Mtn. Lodge vs La Carolina

Celeste Mtn Lodge and La Carolina seem fairly comprable in price, style and offerings. Does anyone have insight as to which is a better choice. It is just my husband and myself in our 50's. We are pretty particular about the cuisine. Thanks so much.

13 replies to this topic
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,745 posts
35 reviews
1. Re: Celeste Mtn. Lodge vs La Carolina

The best person to answer your question…HATTIE…she even live around there…in this case I do not thin she will base her grate professional advice in any links…

Send her a PM…she is great answering questions all the time..

roadadvisor

Please enjoy our country as we natives do…and as we says…have a PURA VIDA vacation

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
2. Re: Celeste Mtn. Lodge vs La Carolina

Well, they are not really alike at all.

1. Location -- La Carolina is a bit more remote. Celeste Mountain Lodge is about half way between Bijagua and the entrance to the National Park. La Carolina is on the road that used to be the only road to the National Park which was about 10 km north of Bijagua, but now there is a newish road that leads from Bijagua itself.

2. Amenities - La Carolina is on a river, Celeste Mountain Lodge is not. La Carolina has a hot tub, Celeste Mountain Lodge has something they call "Tropical Hot Bath" and I have no idea what that is because it wasn't there the last time I was at the Lodge. (Although I have never understood the allure of a hot tub when it's 90 degrees during the day and 70-75 degrees at night....)

3. Age -- La Carolina has been around for quite a while and is more rustic than Celeste Mountain Lodge which is only been in existence for a few years.

4. Food -- well, you've got me on this one. It's been a long time since I've eaten at either one of them. And Bijagua is not exactly a gourmet destination, specializing mostly in plain, well-cooked food and wood-fired pizza. Of the two, I would give a slight edge to Celeste Mountain Lodge, but it will really depend on who is in charge of the kitchen or who is cooking. Don't expect anything fancy from either of these.

5. Other -- no cell or internet at La Carolina. Limited electricity (none at night.)

Celeste Mountain Lodge has electricity and WiFi.

So it depends on the experience you are looking for, I think. If you are looking for something more upscale, Rio Celeste Hideaway is beautiful and, by reputation, has great food. For two other alternatives: Casitas Tenorio www.casitastenorio.com and Finca Verde Lodge www.fincaverdelodge.com Casitas Tenorio is a working farm with trails leading to an area where sloths live year-round. Very fresh breakfast - but no other meals provided. Finca Verde Lodge also a farm with trail and extensive orchid garden and has a small restaurant/cafe on site.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,745 posts
35 reviews
3. Re: Celeste Mtn. Lodge vs La Carolina

WOW …that is nice or what..great thank you Hattie

roadadvisor

Parker, Colorado
Level Contributor
15 posts
43 reviews
4. Re: Celeste Mtn. Lodge vs La Carolina

Hmmm. I think we prefer something a little more rustic. The food does not need to be gourmet. A flavorful home cooked meal is perfect. Sounds like a coin toss. We were in Costa Rica about 10 years ago and it seems like things have changed quite a bit. We stayed at a place in Monteverde that was awesome. I believe it was just north of town called something like Turtle Lodge. They had an amazing restaurant and their little cabins were very nice. It seems like prices have really skyrocketed. At that restaurant we had Seabass for around $8.00. Thanks so much for your help.

Parker, Colorado
Level Contributor
15 posts
43 reviews
5. Re: Celeste Mtn. Lodge vs La Carolina

Thanks, yes she has replied to me.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
6. Re: Celeste Mtn. Lodge vs La Carolina

Yes, prices in Costa Rica have increased quite a bit. But I would venture to say, that in the last ten years, so have prices in Parker! lol.......

Like you, I miss the "old days."

Parker, Colorado
Level Contributor
15 posts
43 reviews
7. Re: Celeste Mtn. Lodge vs La Carolina

Another thought. We were thinking we would like to go on a rafting trip. We are from Colorado so they have whitewater rafting here. We were looking for an opportunity to experience the jungle from the river. Your country is so amazing. Thanks again for your thorough and thoughtful reply.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
8. Re: Celeste Mtn. Lodge vs La Carolina

In that area, you can do a rafting trip on the Rio Tenorio. The "put in" is about 20 minutes from Bijagua -- the outfitter is out of Canas but you could arrange to meet them there. There is also a float trip on the Rio Corobici from Rincon Corobici Restaurant. www.riostropicales.com

Otherwise, there are lots of rafting trips in various areas of the country.

Parker, Colorado
Level Contributor
15 posts
43 reviews
9. Re: Celeste Mtn. Lodge vs La Carolina

We were thinking of staying a couple nights at Hacienda Guachipelin as well and then a few nights around Playa Conchal or Playa Flamingo. Any suggestions on these destinations? Also would there be a better option for a river trip from these areas? Would the whitewater rafting offer the same experiences of beauty and wildlife that a float trip offers? Thanks once again.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
10. Re: Celeste Mtn. Lodge vs La Carolina

The Rio Tenorio during your time in the Tenorio area would be your best bet for whitewater rafting.

From the other destinations, your option would be the Rio Cucaracho which takes much longer to get to.

The whitewater rafting will offer the same beauty -- it will just go by faster! If you want to concentrate on your surroundings rather than the river rapids, do the float trip. I was just amazed at some of the areas we traveled through -- they look like no one has been there for 100 years.

Reply to: Celeste Mtn. Lodge vs La Carolina
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted