We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tamarindo to Bijagua: Public Bus Option?

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
146 posts
19 reviews
Tamarindo to Bijagua: Public Bus Option?

Hello~

I wanted to spend the last couple of days in the Rincon de la Vieja region and looked at several hotels in the Bijagua area. Since we have no car, I read in a previous thread that there is a public bus that will take me from Tamarindo to Canas to Bijagua? Does the public bus take luggage? What is the cost for two people? And as a first time visitor to CR is this a good idea? I considered hiring a private driver but the cost for two people is equal to a two night stay in some of the B&Bs ad lodges in the area! Also any recommendations for places to stay? Thank you!

I used this bus schedule, not sure how accurate this is. Thanks!

thebusschedule.com/cr/index.php#.U8QYJZRdWM2

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,657 posts
35 reviews
1. Re: Tamarindo to Bijagua: Public Bus Option?

Yes they take luggage...just keep a close eye on your luggage...

Trust the bus schedule...hopefully is correct...

roadadvisor

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
2. Re: Tamarindo to Bijagua: Public Bus Option?

You can get the public bus from Tamarindo to Liberia and then there are two ways to get to Bijagua.

There is a daily bus from Upala to Liberia that goes right through Bijagua. It gets into Bijagua between 8 and 8:30 am. It returns from Liberia at around 2 pm and arrives Bijagua around 3:30.

The other choice is to get the bus from Liberia to Canas and then from Canas to Upala and get off in Bijagua. While there is a transfer, these buses are much more frequent so it will depend on which one suits your time frame.

www.thebusschedule.com/cr/ Look for Tamarindo to Liberia and Liberia to Canas and Canas to Upala.

Edited: 5:08 pm, July 14, 2014
Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
146 posts
19 reviews
3. Re: Tamarindo to Bijagua: Public Bus Option?

Do you know what the cost is per person? We are a couple. It doesn't sound to complicated either. The Boston subway system is more complicated lol

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
4. Re: Tamarindo to Bijagua: Public Bus Option?

Total cost per person should not be more than about $10 - maybe less. I know the fares have gone up recently, so I'm kind of hedging as to the actual cost.

I think it's around 2,000 colones from Tamarindo to Liberia and about the same from Liberia to Bijagua so about 4,000 colones (more or less) per person for the whole trip. And if you choose the 3-bus option, it should be about 2,000 colones to Liberia and about 1,000 colones from there to Canas and from Canas to Bijagua.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
146 posts
19 reviews
5. Re: Tamarindo to Bijagua: Public Bus Option?

Thank you Hattie! We are still debating between taking the bus or renting a car for two days in Bijagua. I guess it will depend on where we are staying too. I am so glad to have come across the post about Finca Verde Lodge. My question is between the Finca Verde Lodge, Casitas Tenorio and Sueno Celeste, which is the best place to stay and explore the area?

6. Re: Tamarindo to Bijagua: Public Bus Option?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, August 13, 2015