We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No swimming in Rio Celeste

Broomfield, CO
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
No swimming in Rio Celeste

We just got back from Costa Rica and had an amazing time. One of the highlights was a visit to Rio Celeste. We knew ahead of time that there was no swimming in the blue waterfall part of Rio Celeste, but had heard from many sources including our Frommer's guidebook, that there were areas in the river where you could swim (where the hot springs are). Apparently the rules have changed, and there is no swimming anywhere in the park. They have big barricades set up and parts of the trail blocked off. We still enjoyed the hike and am very glad we did it. But we had to adjust our expectations after finding out about the "no swimming" rule.

12 replies to this topic
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
1. Re: No swimming in Rio Celeste

Sorry, cfield, that you did not get to fulfill your hopes. But..... I know you understand. It's the price of becoming a very popular place.

There are places outside of the National Park where you can swim in the river. If you speak Spanish, you can ask some of the local people near the Park or at your lodging if you are staying in the area.

Broomfield, CO
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: No swimming in Rio Celeste

Thanks Hattie. We ran into several other hikers who also were not aware about the change in rules and were disappointed about not being able to swim. So just wanted to spread the word. Someone mentioned the changing pH of the water and people getting acid burns as another reason why they don't allow swimming. We loved Bijagua. What a beautiful area. You are very lucky to live there!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
3. Re: No swimming in Rio Celeste

Thanks, cfield. And yeah, the blue water is created by a mixing of naturally occurring chemicals so I can see that the pH might be "unsafe." That's Park Rangers for you.... always looking out for your safety and curtailing your "fun!"

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,427 posts
155 reviews
4. Re: No swimming in Rio Celeste

I have seen tubing offered - I'm assuming this is not in the park. Do you know if that activity is still available?

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
5. Re: No swimming in Rio Celeste

Where is this tubing you are talking about, lesab? No, it definitely is not offered in the Park.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,427 posts
155 reviews
6. Re: No swimming in Rio Celeste

I see some of the hotels have it offered as an activity.. I'm reading it says "near the entrance of the National Park Volcan Tenorio"

celestemountainlodge.com/downloads/tours/tub…

Edited: 10:20 am, May 06, 2014
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
7. Re: No swimming in Rio Celeste

I know of a few places outside the Park where you can access the river, but I have not heard of people tubing there! The places I know about are full of large boulders and not really suitable. Obviously, Celeste Mountain Lodge has found a suitable area of the river. It sounds like fun! But basically, you meet near the Park and go somewhere else to get on the river. There's no place near the Park where you can do that.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,427 posts
155 reviews
8. Re: No swimming in Rio Celeste

Sueno Celeste has this decription also.. I'm guessing that it's an hour from the park.

Enjoy descending one of the most beautiful rivers in the world. The tubing experience is a cocktail made of the adrenaline of the rapids, the pleasure in observing the tropical forest from the quiet waters and the surprise of discovering a great variety of reptiles, birds and mammals. The temperature of the water is ideal for this activity. Transport, guide, lunch and snack are included in the rate.

Driving time: 60 minutes - Activity: 4 hours

Rate pp: $45 - Difficulty: NO

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,653 posts
25 reviews
9. Re: No swimming in Rio Celeste

Dang - that sounds so good, I just might do it!

I know the river winds around the countryside after it leaves the Park and eventually, crosses Highway 4 where I have seen people swimming. It's pretty wide at that point and not a lot of boulders visible so I'm guessing that this is part of the tubing area.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,427 posts
155 reviews
10. Re: No swimming in Rio Celeste

Well Hattie.. you go try it... I'm not coming till December. LOL

A couple of the other hotels have this. My grandson so wants to do something more adventurous than the safari float we did but I'm scared to allow him to do it. This sounds very peaceful.

I just finished booking the Casitas Tenerio. Now I can relax and enjoy our Canadian summer... that "may" be on the way. I'm not sure this year.

Reply to: No swimming in Rio Celeste
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted