We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 or 5 nights for our family in Bijagua?

los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
24 posts
18 reviews
4 or 5 nights for our family in Bijagua?

Hola!

We are staying at the casitas tenorio in early june. We fly into LIR around 4pm and we were planning on driving straight there. We have two active boys (10 & 7) and we wanted a base to do some local activities and settle into the property and the town. We plan to spend 5 nights in Samara after our first 5 nights in Bijagua so we will get time on the ocean later. We leave out of SJO.

Is 5 nights in Bijagua too many? We want to have time to explore the casitas property, do a rio celeste float, hang in town and let the boys play at the park/soccer field. Maybe hike, go swim in a waterfall or do rio perdido.

Can we do Tabacon and AOL from Bijagua or would we need to spend a night there? I personally would like to spend a day at some point in our trip at tabacon. Wondering if we can get there just for a day trip with a tour company using bijagua as our base.

Do we need a car at all from LIR to Bijagua and during our stay or could we just get a local driver from casitas for a few short drives, book some tour transfers and walk to town in bijagua?

Thanks in advance for any advice, we are looking to relax, and get to know town and see animals and rio celeste, our boys attend a spanish elementary school at home so any cultural experience like volunteer work or a dance or art class with or just some pick up soccer with local kids would be fun too

Gracias!

9 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,427 posts
155 reviews
1. Re: 4 or 5 nights for our family in Bijagua?

Your 1st issue is your arrival time. Even if you are on the road in 1 hour (which is probably unlikely) you are driving in the dark. for half of your trip. The PanAm will be okay but it will be getting dark by RTE 6 at that time. A little unsettling. I think your best bet is to stay the night in Liberia and head out early.

If you hire a local transpo there are no car rentals in Bijagua so you will need to depend on local tranportation which casistas will arrange for you no problem.I have stayed there 3 times without a car and still enjoyed it but my last trip I did rent and enjoyed that also. Since you want to explore a car rental would be your best option. To get to rio celeste is 30 minutes drive. Rio Perdido you mentioned is 90 mins.

Pip and Donald from casistas are very much into their community so what you have listed for wanting to do, this is the perfect place to stay. I really think the longer the better. I recently stayed only 4 nights. I say only as I could of stayed longer. Most just come for 1 night and go to rio celeste but quite a few people regretted it on my last stay.

Tabacon is about 2.5 hours but you would probably enjoy it more if you spent the night. I normally do not like driving so understand if you don't want to rent a car the whole time you can pick up Liberia and drop off in La Fortuna. Then do a tour/transfer to Samara. In Samara car is really not required unless you want to do more exploring.

Edited: 8:35 pm, April 21, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,427 posts
155 reviews
2. Re: 4 or 5 nights for our family in Bijagua?

Also have a look at their site on Pack for a Purpose. Check out list of top things needed in the area. Casitas is very much involved in their community and many still suffering from Hurricane.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,708 posts
35 reviews
3. Re: 4 or 5 nights for our family in Bijagua?

Great idea to have your own car...nice to have 5 nights at Bijagua...of course very much depends how much you are planning to do around there

IMO is better to spend the night around Tabacon or in Tabacon...incredible place...so relaxing.

roadadvsior

los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
24 posts
18 reviews
4. Re: 4 or 5 nights for our family in Bijagua?

Thank you for the info. Can we take an overnight tour to tabacon from Bijagua or do we have to drive?

los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
24 posts
18 reviews
5. Re: 4 or 5 nights for our family in Bijagua?

Yes, this look good. Thank you for you’re help

los angeles, ca
Level Contributor
24 posts
18 reviews
6. Re: 4 or 5 nights for our family in Bijagua?

This info is very helpful. Thank you for your reply.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,427 posts
155 reviews
7. Re: 4 or 5 nights for our family in Bijagua?

Driving would be best or staying there the night. If you go visit for the day without a car the cost would really be alot as you are hiring a driver there and back. Bijagua is not like Arenal at all. i can only name 2 "tour companies"

Casitas family member

https://www.bijaguarainforesttours.com/

Onca Tours - not really located directly in bijagua - for tubing and stand up paddling..

https:/…

Otherwise it;s just local to local recommendations that makes it quite unique.

What about fitting in Tabacon for last night? What time is your flight out of SJ?

Another company I recommend as I used them for transfer/tour from Bijagua to Samara a couple of times is

https://samaraadventurecompany.com/

David Ortiz is a great person that could perhaps help you too. You can do your turtle tour in Samara with them.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,427 posts
155 reviews
8. Re: 4 or 5 nights for our family in Bijagua?

I think your best bet also is to get send an email to Casitas. Explain to Pip what you are looking for out of your stay and she can offer you suggestions on drivers and what would work best for your family.

I had stayed with them 3 times prior my last trip and still looked to them for advise and they personalized it for my personality and needs.

Edited: 4:43 pm, April 22, 2018
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,708 posts
35 reviews
9. Re: 4 or 5 nights for our family in Bijagua?

Stqaying over in Tabacon...is a great expereince in a great place...go for.

roadadvsiro

Reply to: 4 or 5 nights for our family in Bijagua?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted