We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos

Manchester England
Level Contributor
69 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitos

Hi, my husband and I are thinking of going to Cayo Guillermo around October time, my husband has suffered with bites at most holiday destinations we have been to. Can anyone tell me if any time of year is worse for mosquitos and if the mosquitos are worse than other caribbean destinations? Also any recommendations for repellents.

Thanks for reading x

Cordoba, Argentina
Level Contributor
5,677 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitos

I have been un CG in March-April and I saw just a few mosquitos. But in October I recommend you repellent mosquito when you left your room, particulary you must use repellent in the beach!

Edited: 9:43 pm, March 14, 2014
Toronto
Level Contributor
224 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitos

I just returned from C.G. area, I used; Deep Woods Off, with 30% Deet, I got some bites not nearly as many as I would normally get. I usually come home with many bites. Did get some on my back and legs, from out door Ala Carte restaurants. I was very nervous about all the talk but was happy as this is the least I have ever gotten. I did use it day and night.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
6,290 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitos

You will get mozzies any time of year in the Cayo's. There are also sand fleas which can be troublesome. Take plenty deet spray and I also use Avon skin so soft dry oil spray and find this works for us. Also change your beach towel everyday when you leave the beach to go to your room, this way you dont take sand fleas to your room. You will love the Cayo's if you just take the neccessary precautions.

Cayo Guillermo, Cuba
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitos

Dear Customer,

We fog the mosquitos twice a day, but if you can bring a mosquitos repellents and a cream after bite in case you get a bite that'll help you a lot, I don't know what kind of repellent suggest you but you can ask to Karin, she is a repeated client, her email address is salsacrazykarin@yahoo.com maybe she can advise you with the kind of repellent, I think anyone you choose will be the same, but you can email her on my name. Have a lovely Weekend!

With Warmest Regards,

Nelido Casay / Sales Manager

Manchester England
Level Contributor
69 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitos

Thanks very much for the replies.

Can I just ask if beach towels are provided at the MCG?

london
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitos

Hi, we stayed at SCG in October 13. As it was our first time I cant say if it was a good or bad time to go in respect of the mosquitos.

Like your husband, I always attract every biting insect wherever I go, I asked the same question on this forum last year and got LOTS of very useful advise and ended up having a lovely time with only a few bites (and these were my own fault)

We took a plug in bug repellent for the room, Avon skin so soft (original, not pink one) jungle formula HIGH deet, boots own brand, we also took an afterbite stick and antihistamines !!!

we left the plug in on all the time.

we changed our towel when coming off the beach or leaving the pool, on a few occasions the towel hut was closed we NEVER took the towel onto the room, leave it on the balcony.

we never put the beach bag on the bed.

when we got back to the room we took a shower then used the skin so soft (not only does it deter bugs, it prolongs your tan)

Before going out to dinner we used one of the other repellents on exposed areas.

If we went down to the beach at sunrise or sunset (and I recommend this as it is one of the best sights on earth) we used repellent.

we made sure our balcony door was shut at dawn and dusk, except the one time I had an unplanned siesta after coming back from the beach one evening and left the door open. that was when I got a few bites and the antihistamines were needed as they itch like crazy.

I know it sounds like a lot of work but its not really and was worth it as we did see a few people who were covered in bites and must have been absolutely miserable.

enjoy your stay, we did, it is one of the loveliest places we have been and everyone there was so friendly (staff and guests)

Lyn

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
20 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitos

Hi we've just come back from the Melia and I was worried about bites but used boots soltan sun cream with insect repellant during the day and only had 1 sandfly bite on the sole of my foot!!!.It may just be the time of year or I just was lucky. But worth a try .

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
4,687 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitos

Boots insect repellent with 50% works very well were we go even in India were you can get Malaria without the medication that we do not use due to this repellent that we rely on.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
6,290 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquitos

Yes beach towels are supplied and you can change them daily.

Manchester England
Level Contributor
69 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquitos

Thanks everyone for your advice, really looking forward to it.