We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All Inclusive or Not in St. Lawrence Gap, Barbados?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
23 reviews
All Inclusive or Not in St. Lawrence Gap, Barbados?

Good day!

I am traveling with my husband and 3 children to Barbados for a wedding. The couple chose a resort without an all inclusive near the St. Lawrence downtown (Divi) so that people have access to affordable food. My children (2, 6 & 9) eat quite a bit - like another adult - which is fine, but I am trying to see if I should find a nearby all inclusive instead. I have only been to Barbados on a cruise, so I am unsure of food costs. I am wondering, is it worthwhile to look into an all inclusive in Barbados? If so, are there 4 star/3 star all inclusive properties in the St. Lawrence Gap area? It seems really limited, but I do not want to be far from the rest of the family. I know that some people are staying at Turtle Bay or Crystal Cove too. Any advice would be very helpful. Thank you!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: All Inclusive or Not in St. Lawrence Gap, Barbados?

The only all inclusive in the Gap is Sandals which is lovely but high end and cost. You might consider renting a condo / apartment where you could prepare breakfasts and picnic lunches then eat out for dinners or vice versa and eat out for lunch then cook at home in the evening. This type of holiday is very popular in Barbados which is why you won't find many lower star all inclusives.

You could also look at the all inclusive Barbados Beach Club which is not in the Gap but not as far away as the ones you note on the West Coast.

Alternatively, most if not all hotels have a kitchenette ensuite. Enough to prep food and do the same as above. Have a look at those options then ask some questions about those you are interested in.

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
3,938 posts
66 reviews
2. Re: All Inclusive or Not in St. Lawrence Gap, Barbados?

Sandals is also an adults-only, couples only resort, so it would definitely not meet your needs. I wish you luck finding something that works for you!

Ontario
Level Contributor
725 posts
94 reviews
3. Re: All Inclusive or Not in St. Lawrence Gap, Barbados?

Have a look at Turtle Beach. http://www.turtlebeachresortbarbados.com/ Family friendly, about a 20 minute stroll/2 minute cab ride to Divi

IMHO if you have "hungry" kids AI is a great way to go and Turtle Beach should be a great fit.

Enjoy Barbados!

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
211 posts
41 reviews
4. Re: All Inclusive or Not in St. Lawrence Gap, Barbados?

I agree with going for Turtle Beach. It is the only All Inclusive , for families on the Gap.

You would not even look at Sandals, Adults only.

I have stayed several times at Turtle Beach & the food, rooms and facilities are great.

You can even get a babysitter if you wanted to walk down to Divi at night, which is a nice, safe stroll of about 10-15 minutes tops.

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,418 posts
33 reviews
5. Re: All Inclusive or Not in St. Lawrence Gap, Barbados?

I agree with the Turtle Beach Resort suggestion too. I understand why the couple chose that location because of the range of food options etc, I concur with Acton that AI is a great option with hungry kids (been there, done that!!). TB also has great facilities for kids.

Crystal Cove is good but I think that ultimately you will find it easier not to be travelling between the west and south coasts too often.

If TB isnt possible then it's worth trying some other south coast options. Southern Palms is close to Divi - it's not an AI resort in the true sense but it has done, and I think, AI options for guest so it's worth asking them. Also, Accra Beach hotel which is in nearby Rockley does an AI option so contact them maybe to find out. Savannah Beach hotel near the Garrison is an AI resort.

Lyndonville, New...
Level Contributor
57 posts
6. Re: All Inclusive or Not in St. Lawrence Gap, Barbados?

you can eat very cheap at the Dover beach area, alot of beach bars with food. also the pizza hut across from Southern palms. street vendors are around also. there are LOTS of eating places in the area

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
25 posts
23 reviews
7. Re: All Inclusive or Not in St. Lawrence Gap, Barbados?

All of your comments have been very helpful! I tried Turtle Beach, and I think it would be perfect, but it will not let me book 3 children!!! This is a real issue for traveling as a party of five, as I have run into this issue before. I have three small children, with the youngest being 2 yo. Turtle Beach shows booked when I put in 3 children, but when I reduce it to 2 children it shows rates. The rates seems fine for what I will probably spend in food. But I will have to contact them directly to see if they will accommodate my brood.

Last question, is food pretty affordable in the St. Lawrence Gap Area? I live in NY where food is expensive anyway. But I am thinking about $250 to $350 a day in food would be reasonable for the 5 of us. Could that budget (give or take) work? I am also thinking about a vacation rental with a full kitchen where I could handle breakfast and only worry about snacks and dinner...

Thanks for your help!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
55 reviews
8. Re: All Inclusive or Not in St. Lawrence Gap, Barbados?

If you're talking burger, pizza, local fish (sandwiches, broiled, fried) then $250 a day is twice what you need. A bit more sit-down, but not really upscale, what I'd think of as "family" restaurant, $250 still more than adequate (I'm assuming the 2 year old is okay with fairly cheap wine).

A rental with a kitchen/kitchenette is always good with kids, tho.

I'd think Turtle Beach could handle 3 kids.

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,418 posts
33 reviews
9. Re: All Inclusive or Not in St. Lawrence Gap, Barbados?

I think TB will be able to sort it out but if you decide to go down the self catering route you might want to consider the two bedroom units at Ocean 2 which is in the same area. They are modern in style with well equipped kitchens including dishwasher, washing machine and dryers. Nice pool and beach etc.

oceantwobarbarbados.com

In the same area are White Sands Beach Villas and Sapphire Beach Condos which you'll find on VRBO, Flipkey etc. There's Divi itself of course.

Lyndonville, New...
Level Contributor
57 posts
10. Re: All Inclusive or Not in St. Lawrence Gap, Barbados?

=don't forget the us dollar is 2 for 1 ($1.00us=$2.00bbd)

Get answers to your questions about St. Lawrence Gap