We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Timers

Pwllheli, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
First Timers

My husband and I are going to Barbados for the first time next month. We are staying at the Accra Hotel. Any information would be great as to what to do and what not to do!!

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,746 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: First Timers

Sandra, relax. Barbados is one of the safest holiday destinations in the world. Take the same precautions that you would in Pwllheli, Turkey or anywhere else you visit and you will be fine.

By the way, it is unlikely that you will be going back to Turkey after you visit Brilliant Barbados. In the circumstances, do you have any left over Turkish Lira? I am off for a golfing trip in May and as you wont need them again I could take them off your hands!

Exmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: First Timers

I have never stayed at Accra but stay nearby at Coral Mist. You are in a perfect position on a lovely beach at the start of the boardwalk. There are plenty of lovely places to eat on your doorstep and you are on the bus route. It is safe to go out and about at any time, just be sensible and take the same precautions that you would at home.

Once you have been you will be hooked and it will be Barbados all the way!

Exmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: First Timers

I have never stayed at Accra but stay nearby at Coral Mist. You are in a perfect position on a lovely beach at the start of the boardwalk. There are plenty of lovely places to eat on your doorstep and you are on the bus route. It is safe to go out and about at any time, just be sensible and take the same precautions that you would at home.

Once you have been you will be hooked and it will be Barbados all the way!

Edited: 5:23 am, February 21, 2014
Pwllheli, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: First Timers

Ha ha ha!! I will definitely be going back to Turkey - have been twice a year for 10 years and am going back in September!! Couldn't do without my fix!! We go to Olu Deniz in the Dalaman area and it is so beautiful so I will be keeping my Lira!! Hope you have a lovely time there in May. I am now really looking forward to going to Barbados - 4 weeks today I will be on the beach!! Thanks :)

Pwllheli, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: First Timers

Thanks for that! Everyone has different stories to tell and I think maybe the horror stories were actually from people who were jealous that they weren't going themselves.!!

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,746 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: First Timers

Oh well, worth a try. Belek/Turkey in May, Barbados in July. As an aside, do you usually take Turkish Lira or Euros?

Re security I think people compare Barbados with Dominican Republic for instance where they seldom leave there 'compound' because they are worried about their safety. Barbados is nothing like that.

Edited: 5:48 am, February 21, 2014
Exmouth England
Level Contributor
699 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: First Timers

Definitely safe to go out at night. Just don't walk down any dark alleys on your own in the dead of night, same as anywhere else in the world. I have NEVER felt unsafe whilst in Barbados.

18. Re: First Timers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 23, 2015
Get answers to your questions about St. Lawrence Gap