We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

virgin holidays upping the price after booking for casuarina

essex, england
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
virgin holidays upping the price after booking for casuarina

on the 3rd of march i booked to go to the casuarina with virgin holidays, i always check the website as the prices fluctuate wildly, the price i booked was very cheap and was pleased to have booked it. 3 days later i got a call from virgin saying they made a mistake with the price and wanted another £400 or they would cancel, my initial reaction was to say no, once i booked it i far as i was concerned the booking was final and virgin could not change the price, alas that's not the case in the UK, i called ABTA to check the legality of what virgin wanted to do and apparently they can do what they like, as long as they give me the option to cancel without any charges. has this happened to anyone else

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,358 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: virgin holidays upping the price after booking for casuarina

Nightmare! It doesn't do anything for their reputation.

When are you travelling? I'm just wondering if it is anything to do with the change from Cas to Couples - I'd expect the latter to be more expensive.

essex, england
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: virgin holidays upping the price after booking for casuarina

this may

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
5,037 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: virgin holidays upping the price after booking for casuarina

Wow! Doesn't a contract mean anything in the UK? or was it all explained that pricing may change after purchase in the fine print of your booking. If that is common and accepted practice then perhaps it's time for the UK to firm up their contract law. Can that practice occur when you buy a car or a house?

essex, england
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: virgin holidays upping the price after booking for casuarina

its in the very small print but i really didn't expect them to it, no it cant be done when buying a car or house, if its in the small print then they have not broken the law, I'm not sticking up for them at all, in fact I'm really annoyed they've done this but they are still cheaper than the competition

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
5,037 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: virgin holidays upping the price after booking for casuarina

Ok so it was part of the contract you agreed to. Yes it is kinda disappointing that a company like Virgin would do that even though they have the legal right to do so. Do all travel agencies in the UK have that clause in their contracts?

essex, england
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: virgin holidays upping the price after booking for casuarina

yes they do, even their governing body (ABTA) said they are within their rights to do it, i'm so annoyed they are doing this

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,358 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: virgin holidays upping the price after booking for casuarina

It's really poor form from Virgin Hols. Bet the price had gone up from Cas/Couples and Virgin are passing it to customers ..?.

YYC
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: virgin holidays upping the price after booking for casuarina

To me, that is not right. One would think once the deal is done at the price advertised, they would stand by the price.. Really surprised to hear a company would stoop so low.

Edited: 7:03 pm, March 09, 2013
Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
5,037 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: virgin holidays upping the price after booking for casuarina

I feel the same Carriacou but he agreed to allow them to raise the cost when they felt like it because it is in the fine print. They can decide to raise it again and again if they want he hasn't said there was a limit stipulated in the fine print.. It's kind of a crazy contract... We are lucky that we don't have that in Canada (except in Quebec), at least not that I know of. I am surprised that the Brits put up with that....

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
5,037 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: virgin holidays upping the price after booking for casuarina

I stand corrected. Sunquest, an Ontario company, has the price increase clause in their contract. Who knows if this would stand in court or if it's against federal regulations. Maybe that's why I never use travel agencies and prefer to do my own bookings.

Get answers to your questions about St. Lawrence Gap