We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

money money money!

York, United Kingdom
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
money money money!

hi, we are arriving in st Lawrence Gap mid june and are not sure w

hich is the best currency to bring, usdollers or bbdollers? also is it to our advantage to wait and exchange our uk £s when we get there?

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,013 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: money money money!

Yes, wait and exchange your UK currency here, you get a very good bank rate. If you want to bring US dollars then just bring enough to last a day, maybe $200.

Instead of traveling with cash or cheques it's very easy to use ATM's. Just make sure you know the bank charges back home and the local bank will have a small fee also.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,551 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: money money money!

Linda R

Definitely bring GBP and USD. I never advise anyone to buy BBD in the UK. You'll get about $3.07 currently for £1 here as opposed to $2.86 or so in the UK. Make sure your USD is in small denominations. Also, don't forget your cards.

Regards

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
1,988 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: money money money!

as you are from the UK bring sterling then you don't have to exchange twice and also it implies a lack of respect for the local currency to bring US when you don't come from the US(unless you have some from another US visit or are from the US)

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
89 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: money money money!

I remember reading somewhere on TA that its better (and presumably safer?) to bring UK sterling travellers cheques rather than cash. Am I right in my understanding of this (dont particularly want to use ATMs while Im there - fees charged by my bank are extortionate!)?

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,340 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: money money money!

Scousegirl yes you are right - the best rate of all is for sterling travellers cheques when changed in the banks. I don't know though if the rate is so favourable if you cash the cheques in hotels - somebody will know for sure but the exchange rate for cash isn't as good in hotels etc as in the banks.

I find it very convenient to use my Visa debit card to pay for supermarket shopping, restaurant bills etc. My bank charges are less for that than for using the ATM for cash.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,551 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: money money money!

scousegirl67

You'd be better off changing the cheques at one of our commercial banks here. Hotels in general give less than stellar rates. You get about $0.05 BBD more per GBP from a traveller's cheque than if you were changing cash.

Regards

7. Re: money money money!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, June 21, 2013
Get answers to your questions about St. Lawrence Gap