We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which currency is best to take to?

Dudley. West Mids
3 posts
Save Topic
Which currency is best to take to?

Ive spoken the Virgin rep today, who said that it is best to take US$,

but you get your change in Bardados dollars, which is the best currency to take?

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which currency is best to take to?

You will get loads of suggestions, all different. Here is my thoughts. I usually take US$ as you generaly get a better rate than buying Bds $. In Barbados the US$ is accepted everywhere and 99 times out of 100 you will get 2 BDS$ to 1 US$. You will get change in BDS$ but thats no big deal, spend that next. If you have US$ left you can use them in many places around the world. Of course once you have visited Barbados you will probably want to come back so any Bds or US$ will not go to waste. Lots of people suggest taking Sterling. Problem with that is you will have to search out a bank and stand in a queue when you could be on the beach and I am yet to be convinced that you will save any money anyway. Is a cent here and there worth the hassle. Take cash spread it around your person and luggage and stick it in the safe the minute you arrive. Take a back up Credit Card which are widely accepted.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,066 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which currency is best to take to?

Check this out:

www.tripadvisor.com/SearchForums…

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,823 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which currency is best to take to?

We did exactly as Dunnedg suggests above and it was fine - US$ accepted everywhere and you get change in local currency. We were staying a little out of town - so just split the cash between us and then put it in the safe on arrival.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which currency is best to take to?

Snowy1988, Others have answered your question re currency, I just want to welcome you to the forum......enjoy you holiday!!

YYC
Level Contributor
1,078 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Which currency is best to take to?

Use the ATMs on the island. They give you the best rate on any given day. If you use USD you will get your change in Barbaros dollars. The search box is full of info. You may want to have a few USD to pay for the taxi.

Dudley. West Mids
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which currency is best to take to?

Thanks for the info, it has cleared up the confusion.

MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,286 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which currency is best to take to?

....and finally have a look at this

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g147262-i230-k36…

..my actual experiences in April

..but in the end it is what you are comfortable with

8. Re: Which currency is best to take to?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:29 am, December 01, 2010
Get answers to your questions about St. Lawrence Gap