We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mozzies

liverpool
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Mozzies

Are mozzies a problem in Barbados, arriving in May ??

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,892 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mozzies

The problem is that it is not just Mozzies but sand flies that cause problems also. Whilst mozzies dont normally bite during the day Sand flies bite all day. Take something like Jungle Formulae 50% deet with you. You can buy local spray,OFF when you arrive it is probably better you have something whith you when you arrive, not after you have shopped.

Who knows. You may not be bitten at all or you may be lucky and have no reaction ( like my wife!)

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,202 posts
350 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mozzies

durie

Mosquitoes are more of a problem between June to November which is the Wet Season. I wouldn't worry about them if I were you. Just purchase a tin of OFF when you arrive. They are sold at all Super Centre Supermarkets for $23.09 BBD. It's well worth it.

Regards

Iroquois, Canada
Level Contributor
2,530 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mozzies

no mozzies here today they went by this afternoon to spray for them thought the place was on fire so much smoke

:(

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
241 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mozzies

We just returned after two weeks on West Coast toured the island everyday. Not a bite between us...

Hastings, Barbados
Level Contributor
478 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mozzies

a friend has been here 9 days now and he is covered in mozzy bites..we've had lots of rain at nights,so i think they are fairly prevelent at the moment. he's been here 5 times before and never been eaten alive like this time..defintely not the sand flies...their bites tend to be much smaller.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
388 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mozzies

We arrived Saturday and my husband is covered in bites. I only have 5 but they are really nasty, my hand is quite swollen, never had a reaction like this before . We both use heavy duty mossie repellant and have coils on the balcony.

Popping to the pharmacist shortly to see if I can get antihistamine tablets, but if the biggest one on my hand doesn't improve by tomorrow will probably have to see a GP.

Like Bajant's friend we've never been eaten alive like this before.

jen x

liverpool
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mozzies

Ok will bring some left over OFF I have from last holiday and my plug ins for the room. Will also bring my skin so soft from avon as that seems to work and my handy tube of Savlon...best being prepared : )

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,892 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mozzies

Mozzies effect different people in different ways and that has clearly been shown by the different comments so far. As I mentioned in my earlier post I get eaten alive, my wife hardly gets touched. A different skin and a different smell!

Afraid a european plug in wont work. Doesnt reach a high enough temperature. The tablets work and you can but a plug in locally for approx £5.

liverpool
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mozzies

Dunnedg-

Is there a plug/tablets I buy in the UK that can be used in Barbados ?

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,892 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mozzies

I have a plug- in for use in europe and just use those tablets in my Barbados plug in because I always seem to have plenty of them and they work fine.

If you want to buy before you go, I found this on Amazon which will work.

It comes with a liquid but it appears you can use tablets also.

amazon.co.uk/Mosquito-Go-Duo-Canada-Far-East…

Better being prepared if Mozzies cause a problem. Not worth being miserable in paradise.

Get answers to your questions about Hastings