We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
171 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Just back

Returned late last night from Pefkos - weather early in the week was lovely - a bit mixed later on but still warm enough to sit out in.

Stella Apartments were lovely. Had a one bedroomed apartment with loads of room and plenty of equipment - kettle, microwave, plenty of crockery and cutlery and a bread knife! Never had one of them before! My only gripe was the beds were like rocks! Blooming hard but I put one of the blankets supplied under the bottom sheet and that gave a bit more padding.

Apartments were clean and bedding and towels changed every couple of days. Personally I think that is a bit of overkill and they should adopt the method of if you want your towels changed then leave them in the bottom of the bath. We had only used the bath towels twice before they were whipped away. Not necessary. We don't have clean towels every couple of days at home *shrugs* Think of the planet and reduce the carbon footprint.

We were on a budget this holiday and kept eating out to the cheaper end of the market. I have read many reviews of the €8.90 eateries which say to avoid so we had in previous years. Not this year - we ate at both Zorbas and Roumeli No4 and if they are not good then I must have eaten at many a 'not good' restaurant over the last 30 or so holidays! Both of them had excellent service with a very warm welcome thrown in. The food was very acceptable with presentation paid attention to. We both had the 3 courses and enjoyed then every time.

We had 3 take-aways from Alexanders (I told you we were on the cheap this year) Both of us had gyros pitta with a portion of chips between us. The portion of chips is very generous and supplemented the pitta very nicely. €2.80 was a good price but - not quite up to the standards of the Cretian Family Restaurant in Stalis but - they are not in Pefkos!

Ciggies were up in price this year but as far as I remember it was only by €1 making Richmond Superkings €35 for 200. Still half the price as in UK so a bargain. I brought back 20 cartons. Don't worry about the 800 per person that is bandied around. They cannot enforce this as all the advertising in the airports say 3200 per person. They even announced it on the flight.

Very disappointing that the beach wasn't ready for tourists. Everyone was blaming the Mayor of Lindos. Each year the 'pitches' go out to tender and for some reason he hasn't done it yet this year! Fine if you are young and fit but not so good if you have mobility issues. Get me down on the sand and I would be like a turtle on its back when it comes to right'ing myself - not good if you are beach people like us. We were assured that all will be restored by the 15th of this month. But we were also assured that the beach was going to be cleaned and raked last Tuesday, Wednesday and when we left the beach on Saturday it still hadn't been done! Hope it is done soon as a lot of older people were struggling and to be honest - giving up and staying round the hotel pools.

Hotel pools are not what we go on holiday for - come on people - the holiday season is from early April till late October - it needs to be ready for that period and not somewhere in between *angry face*

Weather forecast for Friday was rain so we hired a car from Zeus (main beach road). €30 for a basic 1100cc fiat and €40 for a saloon. €60 for 3 days. Very good service when our first car gave up the ghost before we got to Lindos!!

Went up to Kalithea Spa for a very relaxing wander around and a lovely but expensive coffee before heading into the hills for lunch and afternoon coffee and cake.

Had lunch in a small village taverna. No idea where we were but it was high up! Had a traditional lunch of tomato, cucumber and bread and butter. It was yum. Why can we not have tomatoes that taste like that in UK *shrugs* For both of us including drinks (soda water) the total cost of lunch was €8. Drove for a bit more then found another place which was delightful. Home made cake with cappuccino €9 - cost more then lunch did! The mountain roads were a bit twisty but not too bad if you stick to the orange roads. Very little traffic to speak of so made for a relaxing drive. No idea where we were going or where we went but it was lovely. If you are thinking of hiring a car then go for it. The roads are very good'ish and reasonably quiet.

Now looking for our October holiday - just might have another go at Pefkos - the sunbeds should be out by then ;-)

Mentioned in this post
Stalis
Stalis
Crete, Greece
Lindos
Lindos
Rhodes, Greece
Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Just back

Totally agree Mazzz

Each to their own! We tend to have a carafe of wine with our meal and then go back to theI apartment and have coffee and brandy or whatever! We know what to expect in Greece. If you;re after English 3 or 4 star then beware!

Maggie

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Wolverhampton
Destination Expert
for Lesbos
Level Contributor
2,286 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Just back

Good read mate , 15 months and we will be there ! Lol

Jarrow
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Just back

Very good write up Lynn, glad you had a great holiday

oldbury, west...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Just back

Hi Lynn. Glad you had a great time. Roll on September!!

Denise:0)

Manchester, England
Level Contributor
246 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Just back

Heading out to Pefkos next Saturday for our first wedding anniversary. Can't wait to get away from this miserable weather so pleased to here it's been nice. Looking forward to some lovely Greek food and a mythos to wash it down!

6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Just back

With regards to the sunbeds on the beach, it's not just in pefkos... It's the whole of Rhodes! The auction hasn't happened yet, so it's not the mayors fault, it's a lack of license at the moment. If owners put out sunbeds before the license has been passed, then they face a very hefty fine! Anyway, the machine has been on the beach for the last 2 days flattening the sand out and the poles for the parasols went up yesterday, so should be back to normal in next day or so :)

Mentioned in this post
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
771 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Just back

Really enjoyed reading your post Lynn. I wonder where you ended up on your road trip? We just happened on Sienna a couple of years ago and visit every year now so I wonder if you were there. So glad you had a good holiday x

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
131 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Just back

thanks just back we have booked the stella appts by mistake you have made us feel a lot happier after some of the negative things we had read.we go on the 29 may for 3 weeks will we be happy? please say yes.

birmingham
Level Contributor
231 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Just back

We have stayed at the Pefki Island, Coralli and the Matina over the last few years, we viewed the Stella last year and they looked really nice great location so we booked them for this year 1st june for 2 weeks. i am sure you will have a great time.

john

Mentioned in this post
Coralli
Coralli
1,255 Reviews
Rhodes, Greece
North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
171 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Just back

You will have a fab time Jubileeline - the apartments are lovely and the best equipped we have ever been in!!!

Even a bread knife!!!

Edited: 12:23 pm, May 14, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Pefkos
Recent Conversations