We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stray cats in resort

westyorks
Level Contributor
25 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Stray cats in resort

We are going to the Island Blue Resort for two weeks next June and would like to know if anyone has had any experience of stray cats around restaurants. If there is going to be a problem,my wife is considering cancelling,as she is allergic to them.

In one of the reviews we read,diners in one of the restaurants were accompanied by five hungry cats.

Belgium
Destination Expert
for Naxos
Level Contributor
448 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Stray cats in resort

My husband is also very allergic to cats & we go to Greece since 20 years. There are cats all around but never had an issue in restaurants. They might go under the table to wait but get the message they are unwanted by a gentle push with your foot. If they persist, simply ask the personnel to take care of them, i.e. shoo them away in a clearer way. Don't worry about them, they will not jump on your lap, they are usually a bit wilder than the cats we know in Belgium & usually keep their distance.

Morpeth...
Level Contributor
79 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Stray cats in resort

Please please can I implore everyone not to spray these cats with water, or perform any other act of cruelty. These cats are hungry. They know that, at the end of the holiday season when all the tourists go home, they may starve to death. They are simply trying to survive by the only means they know - befriend a tourst and get a meal! If you simply totally ignore them for long enough they will take the hint and look for someone else who will give them something from their plate.

Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,340 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Stray cats in resort

Cats are aware of the tourist season? Wow, smart cats!

I don't think anyone is suggesting animal cruelty but some cats can be very persistent and DO need shooing away (a problem caused by others thinking it 'cute' to feed them). Ignoring them doesn't always work, I ignored one that eventually jumped on my lap to try and eat my breakfast!

London
Level Contributor
781 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Stray cats in resort

Marcus, don't you think that you could have shared a bit of breakfast with the poor cat? After all, he's probably been out on the tiles all night too! lol

Edited: 10:35 am, November 27, 2010
15. Re: Stray cats in resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:35 pm, November 27, 2010
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,551 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Stray cats in resort

I have a hard time understanding what the immediately previous post suggests.

If this is what i understand ( i really did not know what warfarin is till i googled it ) i can only understand comment was made as a completely ill joke.

If not a joke, then, this is an absolutely illegal suggestion which only someone covered under a nickname would suggest.

I feel completely nauseated from what i read.

Edited: 2:34 pm, November 27, 2010
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Stray cats in resort

Absolutely, Nick - I could not believe it! And unfortunately, I don't think it sounds like a (warped) sense of humour, either. A completely unacceptable post.

liverpool
Level Contributor
103 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Stray cats in resort

oh my word it was obviously a joke not meant to harm anyone but if youve taken offence then cest le vie

liverpool
Level Contributor
103 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Stray cats in resort

this is the first time on any forum ive had a post deleted, as ive said it was obviously said in jest and was not meant to cause any offence .In fact when we stayed in Rhodes this OCT I spent many mornings walking around our hotel looking for the stray cats so that I could feed them.This is in no way an apology for my previous post, it just seems that people are so quick to condemn . Perhaps I should keep clear of any posts that mention animals as obviously The blue touch paper is easily ignited when jesting about animals

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Stray cats in resort

C’est la vie. Wrong on all counts.

Get answers to your questions about Pefkos
Recent Conversations