We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get from PTP airport to Deshaies

Which Deshaies hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
How to get from PTP airport to Deshaies

How much should I expect to pay for a taxi? I will be there for a few days. Should I rent a car instead?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,703 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get from PTP airport to Deshaies

Hmmm... I'd rent a car, you probably want to see a few of the places that the recent trip report people did, like Pointe Noire, and many of those connections are maybe 1 bus per 2 hours or even no bus at all. For taxi PTP-Deshaies I'd expect 60-70 euro at least, and then car rent for 2-3 days very quickly reaches break-even...

Do visit the Deshaies botanical gardens, not extremely big but very good!

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
692 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get from PTP airport to Deshaies

Really good suggestions from Erik and Sandya - a car would be better, because it would give you some freedom to look around Basse Terre. And the botanical gardens are great!

Brighton, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get from PTP airport to Deshaies

I will going to Guadeloupe by ferry, from St Lucia. Do you know if there is a bus from Point a Pitre to Deshaies that I could get? I don't drive, so it would have to be bus or taxi!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,703 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get from PTP airport to Deshaies

Yes there's a public bus service about 1 x per hour. Starts at PTP bus stand which is about 10 mins walk from the ferry terminal.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

PS Searched a bit more, and the bus stand I mentioned above might be the wrong one as apparently it only has buses to Grande Terre; the new one out of town should have the bus to Basse Terre. Copypasted info from 2008, no guarantees about the accuracy for now. But there's a good tourist info centre opposite old bus stand, they can help you further also in English.

"There are two bus stations in Pointe à Pitre, the new station Bergevin, is not in the city centre, but runs routes to Basse-Terre. The other terminal is near the train station in the Quartier de la Darse (Dock lands,) center city and it runs the routes to Grande-Terre. The station at Bergevin has a ticket office, where you can find the timetables. The other station is more like a bus park and you will need to buy your ticket on the bus, directly from the driver. Ticket price guideline is as follows, Pointe-à-Pitre - Deshaies: € 5; Pointe à Pitre-Basseterre: € 8 (April 08). Guadeloupe is trying to reorganise her public transport system, to provide users with a regular and more frequent service. They are aiming to provide transport on Saturday afternoons, Sundays and public holidays and keep the services running until 21/22. They should also be improving the intervilles, which run local rural routes that connect the villages and small towns, the express routes, with link the major towns with just a few stops in-between, the periurbaines routes which connect the outskirts of Pointe-à-Pitre with the city centre"

Edited: 9:34 am, April 26, 2014
5. Re: How to get from PTP airport to Deshaies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, November 23, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Deshaies
More Deshaies Topics