We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Theoxenia Studio Apartments STOUPA Greece

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
16 reviews
Theoxenia Studio Apartments STOUPA Greece

We returned yesterday (26th August 2012) from a two week stay. We didn't hesitate in re- booking as we had previously stayed in 2004. The Theoxenia IS NOT the same as it was on our previous stay, infact far from it. We do have photographs to substantiate our report, and anyone wishing to view these may do so by forwarding their email address in the form of a reply.

Firstly each apartment is simply furnished. The kitchen area has fridge, kettle, toaster, cutlery and china together with a twin ring electric hob. The shower room provides, loo, basin and a filthy dirty shower cubicle and a loo paper bin which is emptied every 3rd and thereafter every 4th day!!!! The shower curtain lets the water out, thus you end up with a wet and slippery tiled floor surface. We had to give up one of our hand towels to act as a bath mat. The shower is a hand held rusty shower head which is operated by a hot and cold swivel tap ( the water is freezing cold if the boiler hasn't been switch on) Rusty screws were hanging out of the tiles within our shower , so if you are not steady on your feet and you do slip you are likely to have a rusty screw head firmly embedded in your head. The shower is also host to a dirty shower mat which is think with body fat, hair and whatever else lurks within such a disgusting item. The hose which runs from the Air conditioning unit terminates in the showers, hence this drips all night long, and is we believe a breach of EU health and safety regulations due to the airborne spores which are diffused into the atmosphere. (Air Con charged at 8 Euros per night) if the owners son finds you out of your room and your air con is running, he will let himself in and turn it off!!. Makes you wonder why you bother paying for it when you are denied returning to a cool room when the evenings are very hot.

After a week of being eaten alive at night, we decided to pull up our mattresses and take a good look at the beds. What we found was simply astonishing and shocking. The wooden strips running down the beds which were supporting the wooded slats were thick with DUST, DEAD SKIN CELLS and CRAWLING MITES, hence my bites were BED BUGS. Bare electrical wires hung from the centre ceiling light directly above the bed?

A rusty spike is positioned between the glass doors and the balcony. The spike is on the floor and is meant to be the fixing point for the glass doors which are again non compliant. The glass is NOT safety glass, and should you or a small child slip then you are likely to put your hands or head through the glass. The floors are basic tiles and when wet are slippery so be warned. Ants were also a problem as were cockroaches both in abundance. The swimming pool proved a bona contention, as NO cleaning was carried out. For the entire two weeks of our stay the pool was cleaned once and that was on the basis that our (above and below) complaints were taken to Manos directly as our in resort tour operator. The exterior of the apartments is shabby, dirty and generally unkempt, the cesspit stank and the gardens, shrubs and communal areas are in need of attention and the two buildings require a lick of paint. The main bar is dark, dismal, unwelcoming and resembles a funeral home, it smells and is empty of clientèle. This is where you will find the owner and his son together with the hotel manager who is a lazy and rude individual. I would like to add that after a meeting with the Manos rep who was quiet simply horrified at what we showed her, action was taken to resolve our room issues. The pool was cleaned resentfully by the room maid, and some attempt was made to have a tidy up. We were informed that the owner had received a warning that his apartments would not feature in the Thomas Cook brochure next year if the overall management and attention to detail was not addressed.

The Theoxenia is probably one of the best positioned properties in Stoupa, standing on the hill side between Stoupa Village and Kalogria. Both a 5 min walk. On the 3rd floor you will have views right across the Mani, the village and the bay of Stoupa. The Stoupa beach is sand as is Kalogria. Kalogria is very busy and on our visit not a spare grain of sand was available to pitch on. Beach beds are 3 euros each and a brollie 1 euro. An abundance of restaurants to chose from, however, all more of less have the same menu, just cooked in a different location. Typical meal cost without booze was a round 3.50 euros for a starter and 12 euros for a main course. The temperature during our stay was around 40 during the day and between 32 and 37 at night.

Despite our problems, we did have a great holiday and met some great people all with the same opinion as us. If the owner takes the winter to upgrade his property to a standard of which we all expect then this place will be fabulous, and we would return.

We hope this has been helpful to anyone considering booking here. If we can be of further assistance please let us know.

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
66 posts
1. Re: Theoxenia Studio Apartments STOUPA Greece

Hi Just read your review of the Theoxenia apts. We were last there in 2006, and we went back to Stoupa this year in June and went to the Theoxenia to have a look, I thought it looked very tired and in need of a good clean, we did have a drink there and went into the bar, it was a bit smelly, so we took our drinks onto the balcony. We didnt bother going back. I cant understand why it should be one of most expensive properties to stay in the brochure, I woiuldnt stay there again.

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
14,982 posts
29 reviews
2. Re: Theoxenia Studio Apartments STOUPA Greece

Thanks R0xy12

Sounds like one to avoid then

yorks
Level Contributor
77 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: Theoxenia Studio Apartments STOUPA Greece

Glad I've seen this as we were going to book for next year, will have a rethink now!

Skipton, United...
4 posts
4. Re: Theoxenia Studio Apartments STOUPA Greece

Has anyone got positive comments on the Theoxenia we go on 9 September and we are beginning to worry we have made a bad choice.

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
16 reviews
5. Re: Theoxenia Studio Apartments STOUPA Greece

Sorry Ruth, We haven't really got anything positive to say which would provide any level of comfort for you, however, it is only our opinion and we can only relay our experience. I'm only sorry that their isn't a facility on this forum to post photos, which would give you a better idea of things.

London
Level Contributor
313 posts
15 reviews
6. Re: Theoxenia Studio Apartments STOUPA Greece

Im not sure if it all adds up to the situation in Greece or not but we stayed in Stoupa in the Maini Studios in July. Nothing to complain about the apartments or grounds but did not like the situation that in 14 days the cleaner only came in twice a week [Weds and Sunday) and in between we had to make beds, sweep the floor and empty the toilet bins. Fine but you have to go on a route march around Stoupa to find the bins to put the rubbish in. Not a healthy situation in 40+ degrees. The problem also of having to meet the coach up the main road and having our suitcases (First forgotten) but then collected and just dumped on the pavement up at Katerinas . Altogether that holiday cost us over £2200 with food and no we wernt extravagant. So after 10 years of Greek holidays we are off to 5star luxury in Cape Verde next year for the same price. Sorry Greece we will be back just not yet.

Edited: 10:07 am, August 29, 2012
Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
6,366 posts
58 reviews
7. Re: Theoxenia Studio Apartments STOUPA Greece

Katrina, the cleaning situation has been like that for a few years now. If you stay in a hotel usually the cleaning is everyday. The cases have always been left on the top road because the bus can't get down the narrow road. I have to say that I don't think the food in Cape Verde will be as good. We go to Cuba every year and the food is not as good as the Taverna's in Stoupa where everything is cooked fresh to order. but I am sure you will have a good holiday.

Edited: 11:10 am, August 29, 2012
Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
14,982 posts
29 reviews
8. Re: Theoxenia Studio Apartments STOUPA Greece

The george studios also only cleaned the room two days a week and bins emptied on those days only, whilst my wife stayed there. She was told she would have to empty the bins herself on the other days. No, it's nothing to do with the Greek situation Katerina, this was the first experience of it last year and we have been to many places in Greece. This year we went to Lemnos and the rooms where cleaned every day except Sunday where bins only were emptied. The accommodation was the best we have stayed in in Greece and the place was spotless. Not sure whether Manos is letting things go lacks

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
14,982 posts
29 reviews
9. Re: Theoxenia Studio Apartments STOUPA Greece

Must add that I have been to Cape Verde also, although they are classed as 5 star RUI's, IMO the food is fairly bog standard the restaurants in Greece IMO give better meals

London
Level Contributor
313 posts
15 reviews
10. Re: Theoxenia Studio Apartments STOUPA Greece

Yes well we have been to Corfu Rhodes and Kos and yes always cleaned daily. It was our second visit to Stoupa first one being 2007. And we did have a lovely holiday but just thought (Even though Stoupa was in general cheaper than the islands) its getting more and more expensive each year. The suitcase situation yes we did before but this time they forgot us and after a phone call did come and collect cases but just literally left them in the middle of the pavement outside Katerinas. I know the food in AI is sometimes a bit repetative (We are off to Lanzarote also

next month) but just feel like a change for next year. Cape Verde seems very remote and nothing much todo but feel like a bit of something more adventurous. I beleive Im getting a bit Greeked out with the same menus etc etc yearly. I wil go back without a doubt but just fancy a bit of a change.

Get answers to your questions about Stoupa
Recent Conversations