We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stoupa Questions

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Stoupa Questions

I'm intersted in going to Stoupa next summer - probably July/August. If we rent a car from Athens Airport is the drive on a good road? Safe? If we detoured to Ancient Olympus, how is that road for driving?

We would probably then go to Sparti after. I've been told the quickest way is over a moutain which is quite stressful. Is the road south to the Mani area and then back up to Sparti a safer road?

We have a young daughter - good destination for families? How is the beach at Stoupa - I've also read Kalogria is quite nice.

Is everything walking distance - i.e. if we stayed near Stoupa beach is the town (restauants etc.) close by?

Thanks.

Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
12,133 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stoupa Questions

yes the beach and the town are within walking distance. Although I have been to Olympia, it was by coach, which involved a journey back to Kalamata and a further coach journey from there, I cannot recall the roads being that stressful but roads around mountains that stop you going as the crow flys.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stoupa Questions

Thanks for your reply. It was the road to Sparti which I heard is a little more difficult.

Warwick
Level Contributor
412 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stoupa Questions

Its twisty but worth doing to see Sparta, I suspect the motorway will be built all the way from Athens to Kalamata by next summer, there is a thread further down forum giving progress. The mani is a great quite area dont miss it!

Edited: 2:48 pm, August 26, 2012
South Wales, UK
Level Contributor
238 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stoupa Questions

Go Westward along a very good Highway running parallel to the gulf of Corinth to Petras. Then South to Pyrgos, after that I'm unsure. But the Athens to Pyrgos road is very good and at least equal to our A Roads

South Wales, UK
Level Contributor
238 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stoupa Questions

The austerity cuts may put paid to that

6. Re: Stoupa Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 14, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Stoupa