We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

stoupa - too quiet?

wiltshire
Level Contributor
20 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
stoupa - too quiet?

Hello everyone :) Someone on here recommended stoupa to us as a change from dalyan in turkey but I just wanted more of an idea of what the town is like.

I see that the nightlife is very restaurant based, are there any bars? Obviously I don't mean nightclubs and bars with loud pumping music, it's just we went to kefalonia last year and the resort we stayed in was so quiet that the two week holiday was almost painful.

There's 6 of us ranging from 19-45 and whilst a good pool and beach are a definites for us we also need a handful of activities to keep us sane, are there many activities run by tour operators or independant companies in stoupa?

Thank you for your help :)

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,094 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: stoupa - too quiet?

Hi,

I haven't been to Stoupa for a number of years so I am unable to comment regarding the nightlife. However, Stoupa is close to mountains and they make for some pleasant hikes. If hiking helps keep you sane go for it.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,710 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: stoupa - too quiet?

Hi Jess

If you say where you stayed in Kefalonia, that would help people respond, because there would be a direct comparison with Stoupa.

Steve

colchester
Destination Expert
for Stoupa
Level Contributor
2,020 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: stoupa - too quiet?

Stoupa has bars, quiet ones on the seafront, very popular with all nationalities, good for music and people watching.Trips run by Zorbas travel agency are mostly to villages of interest and historical sights. There are no boat trips in Stoupa, but canoes, pedaloes and bicycles are available for hire.I go to Stoupa on my own twice a year and am never bored, but it has to be said that most visitors would fall into the 45-65 age bracket.Hope this helps.

Level Contributor
102 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: stoupa - too quiet?

We described Stoupa as vibrant.We loved it.It was the latest we stayed up anywhere in Greece and we have been to lots of places.It is about having a walking along the front a meal the cafe bar on the front.Because it is self contained you met people to have a chat to.We are back july 22. Caves great.Agree with Carol.You do get late teens.Prob some older.

Headland tavernas super food super views but quiet. Busy along front.We went Ag Nig _lovely abd kardimilli. Will be quieter than stoupa.you are restricted really to Stoupa great for most it is hard to judge for others.

Level Contributor
102 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: stoupa - too quiet?

We described Stoupa as vibrant.We loved it.It was the latest we stayed up anywhere in Greece and we have been to lots of places.It is about having a walking along the front a meal the cafe bar on the front.Because it is self contained you met people to have a chat to.We are back july 22. Caves great.Agree with Carol.You do get late teens.Prob some older.

Headland tavernas super food super views but quiet. Busy along front.We went Ag Nig _lovely abd kardimilli. Will be quieter than stoupa.you are restricted really to Stoupa great for most it is hard to judge for others.

Selby, United...
Level Contributor
822 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: stoupa - too quiet?

Hi Jess

You ask what the town of Stoupa is like. I would say there is no town. It's a village. It's a lovely place with a nice promenade and good beaches at Stoupa and over the hill at Kalogria beach. You can look at webcams on www.zorbas.de and there is a good forum on there. We enjoyed it there but geographically speaking it's out on a limb a bit if you want to get any where. There's some lovely tavernas. Not a lot going on for younger people though.

I've not been to Dalyan so can't compare, sorry.

Have you looked at Parga? We are going for the second time this year.That is a proper Greek town with winding cobbled streets. There are three beaches in town and water taxis to other beaches, also boat trips to Paxos, Anti Paxos and Corfu.

You can go to various places on the mainland like Ioannina the regional capital or even Meteora where the monasteries are on top of the rocks. You can drive to Lefkada, you can go hiking in the gorges.

There is a bustling waterfront with tavernas and bars.

You don't say when you are going on holiday but Parga gets pretty well packed in July and August especially with Italians as they come over on the ferry to Igoumenitsa which is not far away.

I don't know if there are any activities like water sports in Parga. I don't think there are any water parks near.

Have a look at www.parga.com or www.parganet.travel or the Parga forum on Trip advisor.

Hope you get sorted,

Jean

colchester
Destination Expert
for Stoupa
Level Contributor
2,020 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: stoupa - too quiet?

Parga, been there, no comparison. Stoupa is a one off, just beaches, mountain villages, lovely restaurants and little else, what else does one want. I love it. Roll on May 6th.

Selby, United...
Level Contributor
822 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: stoupa - too quiet?

You are right Carol, there is no comparison. Two very different places. Depends entirely what kind of holiday you want.

Stoupa is a lovely place if you just want to chill on the beach and have a nice meal in the evening. Parga has more to offer if that's what you want.

Good job we don't all want the same 'innit.

Cheers, Jean

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
6,228 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: stoupa - too quiet?

I don't think people go to Stoupa for the night life, they go to chill and relax. Most restaurants close relatively early compared to a lot of other Greek tourist places thats why we love it. We are early birds, we like to get down to the beach at Kalogria about 9.30am or before and are usually in bed by 11.00pm

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
678 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: stoupa - too quiet?

pansypotter-7,

you say restaurants close early, what is early?

I ask because my experience in Greece is people dine late-ish usually 9pm+.

Get answers to your questions about Stoupa