We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lovely scent

Halifax, United...
Level Contributor
221 posts
83 reviews
94 helpful votes
Lovely scent

Just got back from a week in Stoupa (2 holidays there this year this one was a birthday treat from hubby.)

What a wonderful scent coming off the plants whilst walking back up to Villa Kosta on a night. It seemed totally different to the scent of a night in July. This was our first time going so late in September.

I wanted to bottle it up and bring it home with me. Could have sat there all night sniffing the air.

9 replies to this topic
Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese
Level Contributor
4,213 posts
32 reviews
38 helpful votes
1. Re: Lovely scent

Likely to have been jasmine which you can even grow in Halifax.

Halifax, United...
Level Contributor
221 posts
83 reviews
94 helpful votes
2. Re: Lovely scent

Well I did wonder if it was. It was beautiful

colchester
Destination Expert
for Stoupa
Level Contributor
2,363 posts
5 reviews
12 helpful votes
3. Re: Lovely scent

Just got home yesterday. I love the smell of Jasmine in the evening too.

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
236 posts
31 reviews
42 helpful votes
4. Re: Lovely scent

You could smell Jasmine all over Stoupa last week. Love the smell.

Edited: 11:15 am, September 26, 2018
Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
6,371 posts
58 reviews
67 helpful votes
5. Re: Lovely scent

I love the smell but sets my nose off, running and sneezing.

lancashire
Level Contributor
201 posts
85 reviews
87 helpful votes
6. Re: Lovely scent

Bought a jasmine plant called Clotted Crean Jamsine smells just like Stouoa live it.

Radcliffe, United...
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
94 reviews
71 helpful votes
7. Re: Lovely scent

The smell is most likely from a plant called Cestrum Nocturnum, its got little trumpet like flowers and the scent can be picked up from a fairly long distance and you may never find the sorce. There is one in the garden just behind the closed pharmacy up the lane to the Lefktron hotel.

I thought the scent was a Jasmine for quite some time until I found the sorce when in Katelios on Kefalonia, the plant was next to a taverna which we were in. Its not easy to grow in the UK especially up here in the North West it does not like cold wet weather (the 1 I found had gone black on the newer growth overnight after a really rough storm) it can be used as a conservatory plant though.

I have had to get night scented Jasmine called Trachlospurnum(sp) or star Jasmine which isnt as potent but very nice.

Edited: 3:52 pm, September 26, 2018
Aberdare
Level Contributor
193 posts
51 reviews
32 helpful votes
8. Re: Lovely scent

Villa Kosta had a huge bush of it in their garden at one time . But sadly it died last winter , for what ever reason . Angela the owner told me . That was always our undying smell as we retired to bed in Villa Kosta and filled the lane with such a Beautiful smell . We ask if we good take a cutting back a few years ago but was informed it was very poisonous to dogs ,if they eat the flowers. So that was a big no no for us . Not worth it. The Night Jasmine only flowers at night and still smell it on some occasions when wondering back after a lovely night out in Stoupa this September. Roll on 2019 September to smell that smell again. 👍😎🐑🐑🐑.

UK and Lefkada
Destination Expert
for Lefkada
Level Contributor
1,991 posts
68 reviews
82 helpful votes
9. Re: Lovely scent

Yes it will be cestrum nocturnum, the Greek name for it is nikhtolouloudo which simply means night flower. It's amazing, even if only a couple of tiny flowers are open the scent carries such a long way I sometimes can't even find the plant!

You can get it in the UK but it's not hardy so you'd have to grow it in a pot and bring it indoors for the winter, might be possible if you have a greenhouse or conservatory or even a porch!

Reply to: Lovely scent
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Stoupa