We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Burnham on Sea

Kingston on Thames
Level Contributor
8 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Burnham on Sea

I am planning to stay near Glastonbury. Is Burnham on Sea worh a visit? Are there interesting shops, pubs and restuarants, is it a pleasant place to linger along the sea front?

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Barnstaple, Robin Hoods Bay, Whitby
Level Contributor
4,959 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Burnham on Sea

Personally Burnham-on-Sea really was not for me. It was one of the grottiest seaside towns I've visited! Weston-Super-Mere, although a little run down is much, much nicer and the pier is great fun.

UK
Level Contributor
438 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Burnham on Sea

Hi

stayed in Burnham last year, it has a good beach, not a lot more going for it I have to say, but there are other nice places to visit nearby. Weston is undergoing a revival and the pier looks splendid, nearby Cleveden is also pretty with a pier also. some nice looking restaurants in Cleveden, we tried an Italian on the seafront and having had a pint in the Moon and Sixpence, we vowed we would return to spend a night or two B&B there one day,..

Recommend the Mitre in Burnham for a meal though, and, if you like that sort of thing, they have a very large Wetherspoons! (I do!!)

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
11,252 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Burnham on Sea

Moore's chipper in nearby Highbridge does the best cod I know, I have made many a diversion just to eat it.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
30,472 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Burnham on Sea

From Weston at certain times of year you can get a boat to Steepholm nature reserve, also contact their tourist info office and see what else is on. There used to be lots of craft type shows there over weekends with stalls etc. is a good jumping off point to do other things.

Or look around Glastonbury for ruins, Clarks Shopping centre or amazing garden centers/nurserys. Even Bristol or Bath for good shops or museums.

Kingston on Thames
Level Contributor
8 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Burnham on Sea

Thanks for your comments. It's been a help. I think we'll skip B on S and do Weston and Cleveden. I Fancy the idea of fish and Chips at Moore's though.

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Burnham on Sea

Clevedon is certainly worth a visit even if it's only to walk along the pier and read the brass plaques on it. A small sequence from "Never let me go" with Keira Knightley and Carey Mulligan was filmed on the pier.

7. Re: Burnham on Sea

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 pm, September 17, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Burnham-On-Sea