We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Altea - Walking Distance?

Which Altea hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
lancashire
Level Contributor
867 posts
Save Topic
Altea - Walking Distance?

We will be staying in an apartment in Altea Hills in June. We are renting a car but also like to walk, is Altea or Calpe within reasonable walking distance? I believe it is very hilly in this area!!

lancashire
Level Contributor
867 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Altea - Walking Distance?

Anyone??

Benidorm, Spain
Destination Expert
for Benidorm
Level Contributor
4,979 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Altea - Walking Distance?

I am not an expert on this area but I have been around Altea Hills a number of times and I regularly get to Calpe.

Altea Hills is, unsurprisingly, very hilly. The main road winds its way up the mountain and the urbanisations spread out from this.

You could walk to both Calpe & Altea. I guess it would be a good 30 min walk, possibly longer. However its all downhill to both towns. You would have to taxi back, unless you are used to trekking to Everest base camp.

I like Altea Hills. It seems quiet and pretty, with fantastic views across to Benidorm, Calpe and beyond to Ibiza (look for the "lump" coming out of the sea first thing in the morning when the sun rises).

Benidorm, Spain
Destination Expert
for Benidorm
Level Contributor
4,979 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Altea - Walking Distance?

Oh and if you play golf Don Cayo Golf Club is located in Altea Hills. Its a private club but accepts guests and is very friendly. You need a handicap certificate.

Let me know if you have any questions. I will do my best to answer them.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
965 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Altea - Walking Distance?

Personally I would not recomend walking to either Altea or Calpe from Altea hills. The main road (n332) is not exactly pedestrian friendly,and it would be a heck of a steepwalk back! Parking is easy in Calpe and you can do plenty of walking when you get there.Altea is more compact,and it's a nice walk from the sea front up to the old church. We have an apartment at Pueblo mascarat which is on the coast,not far from the marina,and have use of the facilities at the Melia Altea Hills complex,and I wouldn't walk it from there,and I'm by no means lazy!

Sunderland, UK
Level Contributor
42 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Altea - Walking Distance?

I would say definitely not. As mentioned Altea and Calpe are connected by the N332 which is a very busy main road, a lot of which has no pavements alongside it. 30 minutes would be an optimistic time frame I think as well. As probably a good 4 or 5 miles from Altea Hills to Calpe, 3 or 4 miles to Altea, depending on where you start from.

There are plenty of nice walks in the area though, you just need ot drive to get to the start of them. If you are feeling energetic, I would suggest going up the Sierra Bernia (right behind Altea Hills). If you are after more of a stroll, then the fronts in both ALtea and Calpe (and Benidorm for that matter) are very nice to promenade and people watch on.

lancashire
Level Contributor
867 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Altea - Walking Distance?

Thanks for your replies, might give walking to Altea a miss and take the car/taxi instead. I believe the apartment is within walking distance of the Luis Campomanes Sports Harbour so there is somewhere we can have a meal and a drink without having to drive.

We stayed in a hotel once in Nerja and the walk back to the hotel from the beach was called Heart Attack Hill!!

7. Re: Altea - Walking Distance?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:20 pm, October 19, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Altea
Recent Conversations
More Altea Topics