We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mount dikeos kos

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
331 reviews
Save Topic
mount dikeos kos

can any one tell me what the other route up the mountain is ? the only one i can find is from zia which i took last may got to the top of one of the peaks but not the one wiyh the church ! the ledge across was far to dangerous ! am told there are services held in the church still so i imagine there must be another route ? as i cant see the priests and people going via the route from zia ! i was told ye can get there from the other side of zia but cant find anything on the internet about it ?/ i am going back in 3 wweeks on the 18 th may so would be gratful for any help !!!!!!

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,679 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mount dikeos kos

Are these of any help for you ?

http://www.islandwalking.com/kos.html

www.foxysislandwalks.com/Around-Kos.html

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mount dikeos kos

cheers my friend but i think he took the same route as i took ! ile keep trying ! 3 weeks left before we go ! thanks again steve happy easter !

Emmen, The...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: mount dikeos kos

Hello,

Climbed Dikeos last monday, started in Zia, followed the signs and came to the top with cross and flag and a small church.

Sander.

Mentioned in this post
Zia
Zia
Kos, Greece
Kos
Level Contributor
2,076 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mount dikeos kos

Ask someone at Zia, where the track starts, once you are on the right track there are little piles of stones..which the Finnish groups who used to climb to Mount Dikeon on a regular basis have left..follow them til you come to the top.

I have done it many times..during Lent..but I just followed the Greeks....the secret is to get on the right track from Zia...

Mentioned in this post
Zia
Zia
Kos, Greece
Bristol, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: mount dikeos kos

Does anyone know if you can see tortoises in October on Kos? I understand that the path up to Mt Dikeos is a good place to look for them. Is that true?

Mentioned in this post
Kos
Kos
Dodecanese, Greece
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,712 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mount dikeos kos

I've not been up Mt Dikeos (yet), but in May there were quite a few tortoises in the hills between Pyli and ancient Pyli, which is only a couple of miles away. We did a walk in this book:

amazon.co.uk/Rhodes-Karpathos-Kos-Southern-D…

and it actually refers to tortoises in the title of the walk, although the translation calls them turtles!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
57 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mount dikeos kos

Check out …blogspot.gr/2012/07/hiking-from-zia-to-top-… and …blogspot.gr/2012/08/of-turtles.html

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,679 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mount dikeos kos

For a non-English:

What is the difference between a tortoise and a turtle ?

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,712 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: mount dikeos kos

Turtles live in water, tortoises on land.

In fact, here's a photo of a tortoise near Pyli (if the link works!):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69721582@N04/7386565608/in/set-72157630163120198

Edited: 10:04 am, October 21, 2012
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,679 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: mount dikeos kos

Thanks Steve !

Some 15 years ago I climbed Dikeos, and on the summit close to the chapel there were lots of tortoises around.

Edited: 5:45 am, October 22, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Kos Town
Recent Conversations