We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chaaya Village

London, United...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Chaaya Village

Hi We are planning our honeymoon and have been suggested Chaaya Village as a hotel for 3 nights, please can you advise how this hotel is? I have read some trip advisor reviews saying there are "packs of dogs" roaming the hotel around the restaurant by the pool wanting food and by the room/balconies. Is this really the case? Would you recommend any other hotel around the area which would be good? We were suggested Cinnamon Lodge and Kanalama too.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,843 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chaaya Village

Hi there,

Well some reviews

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g665220-d579209…

indeed mention it but most likely it's a temporary problem. The garden is HUGE and not always fully under control of the gardeners, as they are very much welcoming other inhabitants like troupes of monkeys and squirrels. Quite likely they're doing their best to keep the stray dogs out without killing them, but if you want to be sure check with the hotel.

Cinnamon is nextdoor and slightly more upmarket. We prefer both warps above Kandalama, which is a nice hotel but not as impressive with garden, pool and wildlife as the two Habarana ones in our taste.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Chaaya Village

I rate Kandalama (slightly) higher than the rest because of the architecture and the setting, but the rates are usually high. I Haven't stayed at Chaaya Village, but the Cinnamon Lodge next door is quite faultless. If the price difference is less than 25$ per night, I'd choose the lodge.

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chaaya Village

Iv stayed at both, and prefer the Village for its non hotel feel. I saw dogs at Lodge as well, but it was not a problem. Max 1 or 2 dogs. It is because tourists feed and pet them and even take them into their rooms! The staff are in a dilemma - safety of tourists or offending those who are dog lovers!

4. Re: Chaaya Village

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, April 20, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Habarana