We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days hols at the cultural triangle

London
Level Contributor
85 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
10 days hols at the cultural triangle

Hi,

I am planning a 10 days' holiday in Sri Lanka this coming March and I am considering all my options.

On of the options is that we spend the whole 10 days in the cultural triangle , possibly at the Chaaya Village Habarana hotel. We would do some relaxing time and also explore the sights as day trips.

My question is: do I miss something if I don't spend any time at the beach but only in the cultural triangle?

Is March the right time to do this?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
55,500 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 days hols at the cultural triangle

Hi again,

Depends on your tastes. If you make it April at earliest (March is still offseason on east coast) you could do a daytrip from here to Trinco beaches, 2 x 2:30 hours.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Central Province...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 days hols at the cultural triangle

Hi John,

There are so many things to do and see in the cultural triangle, it's more like the heart of Sri Lanka. Probably you could come in April and enjoy the festivities of the Sinhala/Tamil new year celebrations. This will allow you to have an amazing glimpse into Sri Lankan culture and heritage.

London
Level Contributor
85 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 days hols at the cultural triangle

Thanks both,

I have no option but come in March due to annual leave arrangements at work.

Is March a good time for the the cultural triangle only? I can't make up my mind whether only do the cultural bit and stay in a nice hotel whilst there, or I should definitely spend some time at the west coast beach, too.

Thanks

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
55,500 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 days hols at the cultural triangle

Well for sure okay there! And at least 50% chance of good sunny weather at Trinco beaches too, just probably a sea which is a bit too rough for e.g. snorkel.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
5,336 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 days hols at the cultural triangle

As to "what will you miss". The broad areas, for most tourists, are history, culture, wildlife, beaches and hill country, in that particular order.

A week in the triangle will give you a great dose of history and culture. And although you won't be seeing leopards, you can still go on some good wild life excursions.

Then you get the "sub areas" for each category. Beaches can mean resorts, dolphin watching, snorkeling or just sunbathing etc

Hill country includes tea estates, vistas and train rides.

It's great that you will be content with just one base for the whole trip. But read around to see if anything will spark your interest and serve as a refreshing change after hopping around the triangle.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
20,187 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 days hols at the cultural triangle

Personally I'd love to have the opportunity to spend 10 days in the cultural triangle area, but then again I'm an ancient history nut.

Of course I can understand your desire to spend a bit of time on a beach also, given that you live in London, I don't know what the weather would be like in March, but wondered if it would be worthwhile considering a couple of days in Bentota at the end of your trip. Erik would certainly know about the weather in that area at that time of year.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
55,500 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 days hols at the cultural triangle

In his other thread it was suggested replacing Bentota with Kalpitiya. A great idea; both have similar good weather then, and while Kalpitiya is not as great a beach as Bentota (e.g. no restaurant scene, need to book halfboard) it's a lot closer to Triangle and Wilpattu. And also has coral reefs and dolphin watching, unlike Bentota.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

8. Re: 10 days hols at the cultural triangle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 pm, March 09, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Habarana