We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to/from M'hamid

Which M'Hamid hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Getting to/from M'hamid

I'm going to be travelling to M'hamid from Zagora and am trying to find a route out of there without going back to Zagora. Does anyone know if there is a bus or train that goes from M'Hamid to Taroudannt?

9 replies to this topic
Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
6,191 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to/from M'hamid

Train goes absolutely not there in the desert. From M'Hamid you have to go back via Zagora, and probably back even to Ouarzazate from which you can take CTM bus to Taroudant.

Here you find all about trains and buses - www.oncf.ma and only buses on www.ctm.ma

Edited: 8:31 am, June 02, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to/from M'hamid

this is what I was afraid of but I guess it's the only way to get there. Have you been to Taroudant? Can you recommend it or are there better places that are easier to get to? I only have 2 weeks in Morocco so dont want to spend too long travelling from place to place.

Toronto
Level Contributor
334 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to/from M'hamid

We went out from Chegaga through Foum Zguid which is a longer drive. You could check buses to Taznakht & then on to Taroudant if your driver would take you that way.

Ian

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
6,191 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to/from M'hamid

Taroudant is worth to visiting it, I like it almost more than Marrakech, less tourist, less hassle etc. Where, in which city you start and end your trip in Morocco?

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to/from M'hamid

I fly into and out of Marrakech. The problem is I am going to Erg Chagaga and to the Draa Valley and so I don't know if I will have time to travel all the way to Taroudant if it takes a long time of the bus.

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
6,191 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to/from M'hamid

From M'Hamid to Taroudant by bus count with 2 days travel for sure.

Taroudant, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to/from M'hamid

Why not wait until after you are down there? See how hot it is and judge by the degree of your exhaustion. If you feel you have the energy, then come from M'hamid and stay a night (or 2) in Ouarzazate.

From Ouarzazate to Taroudant via CTM is 100dh a seat, and you can rest even sleep. It's a very scenic drive.

From Taroudant, you can take a shared grande taxi over the Tizi n' Test all the way to Marrakech. Unforgettable.

If only you could come later, say November, it would be much more comfortable for you.

Edited: 11:56 am, June 03, 2013
Georgia, USA
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to/from M'hamid

I'm also considering a day trip from Ouarzazate to M'hamid. What condition is the road between those cities? Does it require 4WD? Approximate driving time?

We will be there in late November. Is weather likely to affect driving conditions?

Taroudant, Morocco
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to/from M'hamid

• November may be a good time to go there, weather wise, but like everywhere else these days, there is no way to accurately predict.

• You need to see a map of the area. From Ouarzazate to Zagora then on to M'Hamid is NOT a day trip. Best to stay a night somewhere down there.

• 2WD is fine, but if you want a tour from M'hamid to the Erg Chicaga sand dunes, you will need to hire a guide with a 4WD vehicle.

Reply to: Getting to/from M'hamid
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about M'Hamid
More M'Hamid Topics