We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Macau just after Christmas?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,514 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Macau just after Christmas?

Hi All,

My plans for my holiday next March are now up in the air, so my partner and I want to take a week off over Christmas to maybe go to Macau. We are looking at the 27th of December to the 4th of January.

My question is, would we avoid most of the Christmas crowds by coming after Christmas Day and Boxing day? How busy do things get around New Years Eve?

If anyone can answer these questions, I would be really grateful. I looked on the forums, but most similar questions seem to be about Christmas Day itself, not really about the outlying days.

Thanks in advance!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,473 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Macau just after Christmas?

Same answer as on the HK forum. This is not a Chinese holiday period, except for NY Day itself. Weekends are always busy and twice as expensive in Macau. Do expect it to be quite cold.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,514 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Macau just after Christmas?

Thanks! I was wondering if maybe Macau was a Christmas destination for people, so that's why I asked here as well :)

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Macau
Level Contributor
7,858 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Macau just after Christmas?

In Macau itself, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day are the public holidays, in HK it's 25th & 26th December, so room rates are likely to increase on 24th & 25th, but not nearly as drastically as they do for nights just before a mainland public holiday.

4. Re: Macau just after Christmas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 24, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Macau