We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need a visa to visit Macau?

Which Macau hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
1 post
Save Topic
Do I need a visa to visit Macau?

I am a Chinese citizen with US green card. do I need a visa to visit Macau? Where should I go to apply for the visa if I do need to?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,264 posts
5,505 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need a visa to visit Macau?

See Top Questions (FAQ) - Do I need a Visa for Macau? on the right hand side of this forum page. There are links for the Macau Immigration website.

You may wish to also contact the China Consulate or Embassy closest to your place of residence in the USA to ask directly.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need a visa to visit Macau?

I think the key is "what passport do you use?"

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,764 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need a visa to visit Macau?

The OP says he has a Chinese passport. The green card is irrelevant.

Chinese citizens need a special "permit" to visit Macau. This is usually obtained at your nearest entry/exit government office but in your case, as you are in the US, you need to ask your nearest embassy or consulate.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I need a visa to visit Macau?

Well... people use the term "citizen" loosely. Like I am a citizen of Whoville. What passport they hold is more what immigration officers look at, that's why such a prompt.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,264 posts
5,505 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I need a visa to visit Macau?

The OP didn't say they have a Chinese passport although this can probably be assumed.

The problem is that making too many assumptions like these, ends up biting us on the back side from time to time. So, Happyfeet is right, it is best to let the OP confirm these matters as it is the passport, and only their passport, that will determine what course of future action they will be required to take to entry Macau.

Happyfeet, you are also right in regard to the word citizen being too loosely used and described. I've always been amused by the English definition.... 'someone who resides in a particular city or town'. How vague is that?

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I need a visa to visit Macau?

There is more than a "figure of speech" consideration. There are complications.

Taiwanese consider themselves Chinese citizens.

Hong Kongers consider themselves Chinese citizens.

Macanese consider themselves Chinese citizens. (Though OP may not be in this category)

More than just citizens of PRC.

I don't know, may be:

Some Mongolians consider themselves Chinese citizens?

Some Tibetans consider themselves Chinese citizens?

And... there is a possibility of dual citizenship. People who are dual citizens to 2 different countries. They hold two different passports.

So... why assume? When we can simply ask the OP what passport he/she uses?

The OP did not say he/she has a Chinese passport. He/she only said he/she considers himself/herself a Chinese citizen.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,661 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do I need a visa to visit Macau?

Bradjill, surely the literal meaning of the word is "belonging to a CITY" - dating back to the days of city-states! These days I think it means passport, including dual-citizenship.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,764 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do I need a visa to visit Macau?

Sure, a lot of people consider themselves Chinese and often they are but they do not usually say that they are Chinese CITIZENS. Generally posters will say that they are ethnically Chinese but I have never seen the word citizen being used. My girlfriend is Chinese but she is an Australian citizen. In any case, unless the OP returns to say otherwise, it is a reasonable assumption..

Edited: 6:24 pm, July 30, 2014
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,264 posts
5,505 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do I need a visa to visit Macau?

zhuhai2007,

In regard to post 8, Like I wrote..... I've always been amused by the definition which remains in pretty much every modern day dictionary.

Just for a bit of fun.... If I live in Taipa Village, does that make a Citizen of Taipa? ;-)

Jean-Pierre D,

<<it is a reasonable assumption (that the OP has a Chinese passport)>>

No doubt... and I certainly wouldn't bet against it.

10. Re: Do I need a visa to visit Macau?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, August 01, 2015