We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

25th Macau International Fireworks Competition

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
27,619 posts
5,730 reviews
Save Topic
25th Macau International Fireworks Competition

See link for the dates for Macau's annual fireworks competitions held during the month of September (and 1 October)

…macautourism.gov.mo/events/…

…macautourism.gov.mo/uploads/mgto_events_fes…

Seems competitors from Spain, South Africa, Korea, Korea, Portugal, Australia, Italy, Canada, France and China.

Montreal, Canada
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 25th Macau International Fireworks Competition

Thanks for the notice! Will be there for the event of fireworks for the 28 september (Italy, Canada). Is the best place to view fireworks the Macau Tower?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,619 posts
5,730 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 25th Macau International Fireworks Competition

The competition takes place on the Macau Tower Shorefront. As such, I wouldn't go all the way to the Macau Tower. What I would suggest instead is to find Ave. de Republica, which is a street that runs along the back of Sai Van Lake. This is where you find the excellent Henri's Galley restaurant and very good Ali Curry House. There are endless places to just sit on the lake wall and see the fireworks. The advantage to watching the fireworks from here is that you have a lake in foreground which will illuminate when the fireworks go off and the Macau Towers will be in the backdrop, included in your photos of the fireworks.

Appreciate that this is not really a secret location for locals so there will be quite a few in the area each night with tripods set up to take picture of the fireworks with the Macau Towers building in the frame... so you'll need to compete for space somewhat. However, you should be able to find a good spot as the lake covers a fair bit of area.

Good luck watching the fireworks competition and hope you enjoy Macau.

Pune, India
Level Contributor
52 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 25th Macau International Fireworks Competition

Thank You BradJill for the information. I will be staying at Sofitel therefore do I need to go to the aforementioned place to watch the show or it will be visible from the poolside of the hotel.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,619 posts
5,730 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 25th Macau International Fireworks Competition

Hello sheebamallhotra,

If memory serves correctly, I think the pool faces the sea and PRC which is to the west and the fireworks will be almost due south at the Macau Towers shoreline and Sai Van Lake.

Rooms with the city center view might have views that include the Macau Towers to the south but it is in the distance behind many other buildings so not really ideal for watching the fireworks in my opinion. Might also depend on which floor you are staying as to what type of view you are going to have. You'll be able to tell by identifying the Macau Towers building when you look out your window from your room. Here are a couple of example pictures taken by TA members.

tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotos-g664891-d6645…

tripadvisor.com/…44343871

My suggestion would be to make you way, short taxi ride to the lake or to Macau Towers Shoreline directly to catch the fireworks. Its no more than a 6-8 minutes by taxi.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
7,967 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 25th Macau International Fireworks Competition

You would definitely miss a lot, if not all, of the fireworks by trying to watch them from Sofitel.

Traffic around the artificial lakes area towards the tower is total bedlam on fireworks evenings - if you plan to take a taxi from anywhere, I would suggest doing so before about 6:30pm, and having a leisurely dinner close by before walking to a viewing area. If you leave your run any later than that, I would seriously suggest that it would be quicker to walk from Sofitel to Nam/Sai Van Lake area (about 30 minutes, all flat terrain) than to catch bus or taxi.

Another viewing option - say if you have been out on Taipa or Cotai - would be from behind the Ocean Gardens development on Taipa, or nearby on the coast road there.

Pune, India
Level Contributor
52 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 25th Macau International Fireworks Competition

Thank you BradJill and Oisaan..I think I ll view the fireworks from close

Singapore
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 25th Macau International Fireworks Competition

Hello! Can I check if macau tower will be having special food events to co incide with the fireworks competition like BBQ outside the viewing area, etc? If yes, how can we buy tickets/make reservations for these events? Thks!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,619 posts
5,730 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 25th Macau International Fireworks Competition

Hello ChristineHo

Welcome to the Macau forum. If you look at the original post for this thread you'll find two links provided by the event sponsor, which details how the fireworks competitions will take place each weekend. Unfortunately there is no mention of food arrangements so I think you'll want to have dinner before or after.

See post 2 for a couple of very good options on the lake. You'll probably want to secure reservations at both places if you want to eat there before or after the fireworks. Good luck and hope you enjoy Macau and the fireworks competition.

Singapore
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 25th Macau International Fireworks Competition

Thanks BradJill for the suggestion. But we will probably watch the fireworks from Macau Tower as we would like to visit Macau Tower on Sat as well... trying to kill both birds with one stone.

Can I check if I make my way to Macau Tower around 5pm, will the traffic be ok?

Can you also suggest what time I should start looking for a place to settle down outside Macau Tower before the fireworks start? Will 8.30pm be ok? Will it be very crowd then?

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
27,619 posts
5,730 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 25th Macau International Fireworks Competition

>>>Can I check if I make my way to Macau Tower around 5pm, will the traffic be ok?<<<

Not entirely sure what 'ok traffic' means to everyone. To me, I'm used to taxis moving slow through crowded streets so I would say 'yes'. Others might moan at how slow the taxis move and just tell you to walk as Macau is just not that big an area. The distance you would cover from most of the historic area to Macau Towers would be similar to walking to Marina Bay from Clark Quay (assuming you are from Singapore). To be honest, unless we are in a hurry for a dinner reservation or traveling between Cotai and the peninsula, we usually just walk from place to place. It is an easier solution much of the time.

In the end, oisaan summed up the situation very, very well in post 5 above. I would heed precisely to her suggestions.