We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What you should know about being in Macau during Grand Prix

Which Macau hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Macau, Holiday Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,071 posts
5,331 reviews
Save Topic
What you should know about being in Macau during Grand Prix

Please use this space to share your personal experiences about being in Macau during the annual Grand Prix. What is it like arriving in Macau? What is public transportation like?, Is it easy to get a taxi? Are other attractions open? Is it difficult getting dinner reservations? etc.

Please use this space to share with visitors to the TA Macau forum what they should expect if interested in visiting during the annual Grand Prix in Macau.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,527 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What you should know about being in Macau during Grand Prix

Haha I avoid coming during that time, as hotels are expensive and very crowded.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,224 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What you should know about being in Macau during Grand Prix

We were there in 2006, two days before the actual Grand Prix (which we didn't know about, not being GP fans). It totally put us off Macau (though we concluded afterwards that we hadn't been fair to Macau in this respect and are planning to revisit it in a couple of weeks from now).

Immigration at the ferry terminal took ages as it was totally bursting at the seams with about 3-4000 people trying to get in.

Once we got out we found the route had been blocked off with huge traffic barriers that made getting around a challenge as you had to negotiate through the gaps in the barriers, which weren't necessarily where you wanted to cross.

Possibly this contributed to the chaos of the traffic, which was unpleasant.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What you should know about being in Macau during Grand Prix

Hi BradJill and everyone,

firstly, the Macau Grand Prix uses the public road as the track(similar like in Singapore, Monaco, Melbourne to list but a few.

As such, few roads that forms the track will be cordoned off,and detours of public transport takes place,and it brings about influx of visitors-the GP fans will be there before the weekend on actual race day.

As some of you are aware, am always there for this event-and putting up in Grand Lapa,as one of the viewing stand infront of the hotel ingress /egress road forms one of the "straight".

For this year, it is the 59th grand prix of Macau,which shall be held from 15-18 Nov.2012. Usually the circuit will closed from 6am until 7pm-though this is subject to the stewards of the meeting.

From my personal experience, where on the eve of the first practice session-i.e. four days before race day), I have already arrived into Macau,before lunch time- the usual immigration queue is observed-average so far: 30minutes.

Now during the time when circuit is closed, just ensure you plan to be away from circuit(known as Guia circuit) to areas of Taipa, Coloane,and towards the west of Macau Peninsula-Senado, Inner Harbour(A Ma are all still fine).

Long Beach, NY
Level Contributor
835 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What you should know about being in Macau during Grand Prix

To avoid pre-Grand Prix events or crowds, would it be “safe” to go to Macau (day trip) on Thursday, November 8 or Friday, November 9?

(Thanks.)

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What you should know about being in Macau during Grand Prix

Hi Fran727, if am right, Nov. 9 is the start of Macau Food Festival..held at Sai Van Lake Square-that will be nice.

Long Beach, NY
Level Contributor
835 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What you should know about being in Macau during Grand Prix

Thanks, mKiara. I didn’t know about the Food Festival….

I found photos of the Food Festival from previous years. The Square is packed with people! I guess it’s impossible to avoid crowds in Macau. Everyone (myself included) wants to go.

Newcastle Australia
Level Contributor
192 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What you should know about being in Macau during Grand Prix

Hi, We were considering delaying our Macau day trip until the 19th November. We are in Hong Kong from 12-20/11/12, not realising Grand Prix was on. Do you think Mon19th will be ok as i see grand prix finishes Sunday.

Thanks in advance

Ann

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What you should know about being in Macau during Grand Prix

Hi Ann (@travelbugann), yep, should be ok, you can see the stands when you exit from ferry terminal.

Have an enjoyable time,and food festival is still on.

7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What you should know about being in Macau during Grand Prix

i'll arrive in Macau 12/11 and leave for HK 14/11. didnt realise there's grand prix going on. i guess it'll be badly congested during my trip.

10. Re: What you should know about being in Macau during Grand Prix

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:05 am, October 23, 2012