We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your favourite 1/2-1 day trip: scenery and short hikes

Which Puerto de Mogan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
6,624 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
Your favourite 1/2-1 day trip: scenery and short hikes

Hi,

We (Mum 60 y/o and Daughter 35 y/o) are staying in Puerto Mogan for 4 nights around X-mas. We are looking for peferably 1/2 day trips, but could also do a 1 day trip, to enjoy the scenery away from the typical tourist scene and perhaps do a short hike (max 2 hours) in beautiful environment.

We will have a rental car. After our stay in Mogan we will continue to Las Palmas and stay for 3 nights, hence will post the same question for Las Palmas in a separate thread.

I have read a few guidebooks and there is a lot of information on day trips, however I'm looking for your favourite 1/2 - 1 day trip from Mogan.

We will be grateful for all suggestions and also if you have recommended lunch spots in connection with the day trip we will be even happier.

Pippi

derby uk
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your favourite 1/2-1 day trip: scenery and short hikes

The gardens at Palmitos Park are fabulous and the animals fascinating. You need a whole day though.

Drive from Puerto de Mogan through Mogan and up the mountain road. there is a wonderful road side cafe with fantastic food drinks and views. They also sell wonderful fruit. Well worth a trip!!! A little way but wonderful! Probably 1/2 day to do this, or less.

You hardly need to leave the resort though, as it is fabulous in its own right!!!!

Have a great time!

(we are going in January for 3 weeks!!)

Leicester
Level Contributor
417 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Your favourite 1/2-1 day trip: scenery and short hikes

Hi Pipi2. Hope this is not too late! As no one has mentioned the walk we always like to do I have extracted a bit from our trip report (Feb. 2009) also a bit about the short climb up to the view point (mirador). The walk takes just a couple of hours and the view point no time at all.

Puerto Morgan is a lovely place and I am sure you will have a fantastic time and have a happy Xmas.

“If you look back to the town (from the harbour) and up you will see a round structure (not the tall square tower right on top of the cliff, (more of that later) topped with a flag, just above the topmost houses. This is a lookout point (mirador) and has great views of the whole town and harbour. It took us two attempts to reach this as it can only be reached by climbing the steep steps from a small road, Las Nasas, which is off the main road, Avda. Castillete, that leads to the boat yard. There is just one small sign on the way up. Our first attempt seemed to be getting there but then finished in some ones house or garden.”

“If you like a walk then I suggest you try the route to the tall square tower you can see at the top of the cliffs. Opposite the Cordial Mogan Valle Apartments is a road/track that snakes up the hill side. It looks very steep but in fact is just a steady climb (we are both OAPs). Just at the start of the track you come to a barrier with a “No Paseo” sign and a pedestrian no entry sign. Ignore this! We were concerned but a German couple said they and loads of people go up. At the top turn left just as you pass through the green gates and follow the obvious path round the water tank and on down the slope (If you go straight on along the deserted road I assume you get to Mogan* but we only went about a kilometre). Nice views of the sea and if you’re lucky snow on Mount Teide on Tenerife. An obvious path leads to the tower which you can walk round the base without too much risk of vertigo. A path off to the left leads to the sheer cliff edge so if heights are a problem for you or you have kids with you don’t go too close to the edge.”

* I seem to remember a post a short while ago that said where this goes to but, if I remember right, it is NOT Morgan. Don’t seem to be able to find it so if the original poster sees this I wouldn’t mind hearing again where it goes to. Thanks

Stavanger, Norway
Destination Expert
for Western Norway, Stavanger
Level Contributor
6,624 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Your favourite 1/2-1 day trip: scenery and short hikes

Thanks to both of you for replying to my post! We returned yesterday from our 1 week vacation on Gran Canaria. We found Puerto Mogan to be espesially wonderful and we would love to return and spend more time here.

We did spend a day on the road in our rental car, driving the mountain road route from Mogan to Ayacata and back down via San Bartolome and Fataga before we returned with a detour to Arguineguin on GC-1. We had frequent stops along the way for photos and enjoying the view. The journey lasted for approx 5 hours.

Our snack and wine stop was at the small village I believe was Ayacata and the Bar Candelilla. We also visited the Norwegian church (Sjømannskirken) in Arguineguin only to taste the the traditional norwegian fresh waffles with jam.

Unfortunately we did not do any of the walks suggested above from Puerto Mogan, however these will be on top of our list if/when we return.

yorkshire
Level Contributor
150 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Your favourite 1/2-1 day trip: scenery and short hikes

We are thinking about a 10 or 14 day trip at end of September. We like a mix of doing very little other than relaxing and enjoying local bars/restaurants and some days out. Is there enough to do locally for a two week trip?

5. Re: Your favourite 1/2-1 day trip: scenery and short hikes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:25 am, July 06, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Puerto de Mogan
More Puerto de Mogan Topics