We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

booking

London, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Topic
booking

Hi All,

Is it cheaper to book a package holiday for self catering on-line or in person. I'm booking with Thomson for 2 adults 2 kids to fly from brum or east midlands airport.... ?

Obviously dates, school hols have a big impact on prices but want to attempt!!!!! to get the cheapest possible price . TIA

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
228 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: booking

Hi,

I have always booked a package deal, usually with Thomas cook or direct holidays flying frm mcr for 2xads n 1 child in school hold..

Direct holidays r very gud they have the extra luggage n inflight meals n transfers inc in price.

I've usually gone on- line first to find we're I want to go as well as check out the prices then compare them with a travel agents prices..

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: booking

Mimsy

Checkout Ice Lolly .com or Easyjet holidays.

Bargains to be had

staffordshire
Level Contributor
1,305 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: booking

I always look on line then ring tomsons or t/c they match the net price

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: booking

We go on holiday about 6 times every year and always book everything separate and this sometimes saves us 50% (or more) on the package price. As more and more people start doing this the main tour operators have put up the prices of separte flights but even then it's much cheaper booking separate (or look for bargains on Ryanair or Easyjet) . It is advised though to take out travel insurance if you book separate as this is the only way to protect yourself (for example in case a flight is cancelled).

We will be going to the Blue Domes hotel in May and this costs us just under 600€ each including everything for 10 nights while Thomas Cook wants 1150€ for the same dates. On top of that our holiday will be 14 days in total as we have booked an extension on Rhodes for 4 days aswell (included in that 600€ !!)

Mentioned in this post
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
preston
Level Contributor
206 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: booking

try Travel Republic, I've used them for years and have always got good prices. They sort out the lot, flights, accommodation and transfers, have always been very reliable.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: booking

Just be careful taking kids because a lot of independant bookings will not have the service of a Rep in the accommodation you are in. Most of the time all ok, but nice to know someone is there if you need them. Not too bad in Greece as hoteliers are more than helpful and always at hand.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: booking

Even if you book separate most larger hotel booking companies (like Hotels4U) still have their own reps in the hotel. Hotels4U is part of Thomas Cook by the way. Not that we have ever needed a rep for anything, some research before leaving on holiday is usually more useful than asking a rep anyway... but than we don't have kids.

kent
Level Contributor
441 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: booking

I agree! The reps I've come across are worse than useless generally speaking, not really caring about much more than selling you trips you can book locally for half the cost, and still travel on the same coach! The recession forced us to book a package to Mastihari a few years ago, and we were appalled at the lack of attention paid to the welfare of the clients who'd never visited before. if you book independently then you will find plenty of local people including ex pats to help you far more than the reps ever will! Just as an example....I had to tell the coach transfer driver how to get to the accommodation on arrival, and we found a family of four standing outside....abandoned by the previous transfer some 2 hours earlier with no idea how to get into their room....this was around 01.00.... it took all of my "persuasive" powers to convince our rep from the same company, to take this one on board!.....We went and found our own room....it was much easier that way!!

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,704 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: booking

<<The reps I've come across are worse than useless generally speaking, not really caring about much more than selling you trips you can book locally for half the cost, and still travel on the same coach>>

With one or two noteable exceptions in different places over the years, I agree 100%. Don't book a holiday with a TO just because there is a rep. But do your homework before you book to make sure the place you book is what you want it to be.

10. Re: booking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, April 14, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Tigaki
Recent Conversations