We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do mosquitoes mean I shouldn't take a baby to Tigaki?

York
Level Contributor
60 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Do mosquitoes mean I shouldn't take a baby to Tigaki?

We are about to book a last minute break to Tigaki, but I'm concerned over everything I've read about the mosquitoes. I can cope with being bitten, but doubt my 10 month old daughter will react very well. How bad is the problem this year? Is it sensible to take a baby? Has anyone taken a baby to Tagaki - if so what precautions did you take and was your baby ok?

We're thinking of staying in the Mythos Apartments or Mayflower Apartments, anyone with any idea how bad the mosquitoes are there? Should I buy a mossy net for her cot? Or just look elsewhere?

Sorry for all the questions! First time taking my little one out of the country and want to make sure we all have a great time!

Thank you!

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do mosquitoes mean I shouldn't take a baby to Tigaki?

Mossies tend to come out at night so as long as you take sensible precautions such as closing your doors and windows by dusk and using a plug in you should be ok. Also a/c in your room helps to keep the critters away.

Use a good child insect repellent, especially in the evenings and do not use anything perfumed.

You may find the link below has some useful information.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189462-i544-k53…

www.pharmazon.gr/product_info.php…

York
Level Contributor
60 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do mosquitoes mean I shouldn't take a baby to Tigaki?

Thank you! Anymore baby in Tigaki tips would be greatly appreciated by this first time mother!

Spalding, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do mosquitoes mean I shouldn't take a baby to Tigaki?

No experience of babies personally but I would imagine that nappies might be more expensive so if you can take sufficient supply with you do. The footpaths are quite high kerbed so hopefully you have a pushchair with larger wheels - they can also be narrow in places.

Greeks love children especially blue eyed blond ones as blond hair is considered a sign of good luck so if your daughter fits this description expect her to get a lot of attention. Most Restaurants have high chairs - just ask and one should appear.

If she is toddling or crawling do watch out by swimming pools!

Mosquitos worst at dusk/ night and after rain and near salt marsh but at this time of year probably not too bad in the main resort especially after the cold winter they have had.

If the worst happens with clothes there is/was a launderette on the main street (left hand side heading down to the sea).

staffordshire
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do mosquitoes mean I shouldn't take a baby to Tigaki?

Hi there we have stayed at the mayflower and this year staying in the mythos not been in the rooms but had a look round,we went last june and the mosquitoes were very bad, worst i had seen it for a few years, saying that i dont think it will be that bad in may i would try and get a mossy net to put over the babys buggy for when drops asleep at night can get them off the net,(dont think it will be that bad thought) as for where to stay mayflower is about 20mis walk to the beach you might wont to be nearer the bars and taverns at night so mythos is the best for that its right in the middle and close to beach both have pools think the mayflower has slighly got the better pool both nice , last year we stayed in akti dimmys right on the beach 8 mins walk to bars that was very nice great pool, that can be booked with booking .com then get your own flight , hpoe this helps

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do mosquitoes mean I shouldn't take a baby to Tigaki?

Hi

We didn't go to tingaki, but Corfu.

Our son was 6 months old. We spoke to boots pharmacist and got special baby insect repellant wipes (suitable from 6 months) and a cream if he wad bitten. We dressed him In a sleep suit (baby grow) when we went out in the

evening. We were always home by 9/10pm latest.

During the day we put a "shade a baby" over his buggy to protect him from the sun / insects.

He was happy on holiday and didn't get bitten. Glad he doesn't take after me

Edited: 12:21 pm, May 09, 2012
Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do mosquitoes mean I shouldn't take a baby to Tigaki?

Hi

We didn't go to tingaki, but Corfu.

Our son was 6 months old. We spoke to boots pharmacist and got special baby insect repellant wipes (suitable from 6 months) and a cream if he wad bitten. We dressed him In a sleep suit (baby grow) when we went out early evening. We were always home by 9/10pm latest.

During the day we put a "shade a baby" over his buggy to protect him from the sun / insects.

He was happy on holiday and didn't get bitten. Glad he doesn't take after me

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do mosquitoes mean I shouldn't take a baby to Tigaki?

"shade a baby" over his buggy to protect him from

He was happy on holiday and didn't get bitten. Glad he doesn't take after me As I get eaten alive.

Have a lovely holiday.

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do mosquitoes mean I shouldn't take a baby to Tigaki?

Sorry TA is playing up and cutting up my post.

Re nappies. V expensive in Greece. Especially pampers, huggies. Also wipes are dear too. My advice is if you are struggling with your luggage allowance, buy a big pack of nappies at the airport boots once you've checked in.

I'd take your own formula too. The stuff over there often has sugar in it!

We basically had one case of baby stuff (squashy packs of baby food, nappies, formula etc) and one with our clothes!

York
Level Contributor
60 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do mosquitoes mean I shouldn't take a baby to Tigaki?

Great tips thank you! The baby grow idea is really good - not thought of that!

Did you take a travel kettle for making formula/boiling water for your little one? Not sure if I should buy one.

So many questions!

preston
Level Contributor
206 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do mosquitoes mean I shouldn't take a baby to Tigaki?

This is not the outback ! Kettles are provided in your apartments and of course it's safe to take babies to Tigaki, how do you think their kids survive ///?

Get answers to your questions about Tigaki
Recent Conversations