We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What counts as your first night in accommodation

Durham England
Level Contributor
96 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
What counts as your first night in accommodation

I think I already know the answer but we have just book a cheap holiday leaving in 4 weeks. Unfortunately flight times are not ideai and we will not reach our accommodation till about 6am. Will that actually count as our first night meaning we will have to be out of the hotel at about 11am on day of departure even tho we don't fly till 5.40am the following day.

Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
10,070 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What counts as your first night in accommodation

I am pretty certain that will be counted as your first night. Normal check in time is about midday so I think although you are arriving early in the morning they can't let the accommodation to anyone else the night before.

Komotini, Greece
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What counts as your first night in accommodation

Delay your check - in (not necessarily your arrival at your hotel) until normal check in time and you will no pay for that night. You can arrive at the hotel at 6am, leave your bags at the reception desk, and go out for a walk, lazy breakfast, wander around, etc. Come back when they tell you to for check in and you won't start paying until the coming night. This is how it works in all Greek hotels, and they will let you leave your bags at reception.

Now, if you're exhausted and you need to sleep right away, then you do have to reserve the room starting from the night before and you will pay for it most likely unless they waive it.

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,389 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What counts as your first night in accommodation

If it is a package holiday then you do not have the choice and yes the first (part) night will count as your first. On your last day many places will allow you to either keep your room till later in the day or allow you to use another one, although you may have to pay a little extra for its use.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What counts as your first night in accommodation

Hi there

Indeed, as far as package operators are concerned, it's hard cheese if the first night is spent in transit, it definately counts as "night one" I'm afraid.

Durham England
Level Contributor
96 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What counts as your first night in accommodation

Thanks folks you have confirmed what I thought. Hopefully we will be able to pay to keep the room on departure day or at least have arrange a later checkout time.

6. Re: What counts as your first night in accommodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, December 15, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Tigaki
Recent Conversations