We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomsons - You are Definitely JOKING!!!!!!

London
Level Contributor
543 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Thomsons - You are Definitely JOKING!!!!!!

I would very much like to vent my feelings (anger in a word).

We were contemplating going to the Socrates Studios in Tigaki during the last week in June. I have kept my eye on the price on and off since we returned from Kos last September. At that time the price for 2 self-catering was £600. I would never ever book that far in advance. I have just looked and found the price to be £808!!! Are Thompson having a laugh? That does not include inflight meals and whereas it was 20kg luggage you are now only getting 15kg. The price of £808 includes the extra 5kgs each. The Socrates is on a 2 star. When you add the cost of meals etc, I would say you are talking about approximately £1,400 for one weeks holiday for two.

Is it because they anticipate less people going away this year, that they are trying to rob the ones that do!!!!!

THOMSONS I HOPE THAT A REPRESENTATIVE OF YOUR COMPANY READS THIS.

Marian

Edited: 10:14 am, March 02, 2010
Mentioned in this post
Tigaki Beach
Tigaki Beach
1,260 Reviews
Kos, Greece
Kos
Kos
Dodecanese, Greece
Plymouth, United...
Destination Expert
for Tigaki
Level Contributor
5,676 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thomsons - You are Definitely JOKING!!!!!!

Unfortunatly Maidmarion, you probably saw the early booking discounted holidays. now that it won't be considered "early booking" you will be seeing the " so called " real price.

Doesn't help though does it.

I always book well in advance to get the early discounts. mainly because I also have been caught out waiting for late or later booking.

BOB.

London
Level Contributor
543 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thomsons - You are Definitely JOKING!!!!!!

Sad to say Bob we shall not be going there at those prices. I did in fact email the Socrates for an independant quote and received a reply back from them saying 'you can only booked through Thomson'. Says it all, captive audience for Thomsons as they are the only Tour Operator doing the Socrates.

It is no wonder people are going to Egypt. We went last year and would not go back there, even if they paid us to. In fact out of curiousity, I just got a price for the same hotel, we stayed in, AI, 20kgs luggage allowance, inflight meals etc and for TEN days at the same time of year for £1,500.

Pound for pound, I personally think cruises are a better deal. Well, we shall wait and see, I am in no hurry to book, but I do feel that Thomsons (and I expect the other tour operators) are taking the mick to put it mildly!!

Marian

Edited: 11:55 am, March 02, 2010
Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thomsons - You are Definitely JOKING!!!!!!

I paid £ 1260 for two s/c weeks in Parga with Thomson in june which i was very happy with, its know gone up to £1928 for exactly the same flights, and dates which is silly money for self catering you would need £3000 plus adding spending money

Mentioned in this post
Parga
Parga
Preveza Region, Greece
London
Level Contributor
543 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thomsons - You are Definitely JOKING!!!!!!

Hi Cherub77

I totally agree with you, it is silly money. May be if a lot of people feel this way it just might force them to bring their silly prices down. We can only hope.

Marian

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thomsons - You are Definitely JOKING!!!!!!

May i ask why not check diy?

I mean, 3k pounds IS lot of money. No offense, but i sincerely think it can be done on less. No reason to pay big operators if you don't get what they are for there: the good price.

Maidmarian9, since you are in London, i would suggest:

- take a plane to Athens. Right now it's around 130 - 150 pounds return on a quick search on EJ to Athens.

- take a ferry to an island at 30 - 50 euros per person at most places

- go to a nice room which is around 25 - 45 euros per person per day at ay place in booking.com .

This goes somewhere around at around 310 - 440 pounds per person on a great island, flights included and a 2* - 3* place for 6 nights. Margin depends on how good flight offer you can get and level of accomodation. Nevertheless, a quick dummy booking in www.booking.com shows nice and highly rated places in many islands.

If you can do it diy on similar or a bit more money, i see no reason going for big operators or places that are full with Ebglish visitors just because operators push them there.

Sifnos, Naxos, Andros, Paros, Milos, all are islands you can reach easily from Piraeus and will not see in a brochure.

Hope i helped :)

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Sifnos
Sifnos
Cyclades, Greece
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
Andros
Andros
Cyclades, Greece
Paros
Paros
Cyclades, Greece
Milos
Milos
Cyclades, Greece
Piraeus
Piraeus
Piraeus Region, Greece
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
681 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thomsons - You are Definitely JOKING!!!!!!

Just done a dummy run on Thomsons site and got £570, departing 23/6??????

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thomsons - You are Definitely JOKING!!!!!!

Agree 100% with Nick. The good thing about Easyjet flights to Athens is that they go 7 days a week so you can tailor your break to your needs rather than the other way round with a TO. Why not go for 9 or 11 nights, try doing that on a package!! They also fly TWICE a day to Athens, good flight times for an easy connection to the ferries. Try it, you will never look back!!

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
merseyside
Destination Expert
for Kalymnos
Level Contributor
1,527 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thomsons - You are Definitely JOKING!!!!!!

Easyjet are now flying London Gatwick to Kos!

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Kos
Kos
Dodecanese, Greece
uk
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Thomsons - You are Definitely JOKING!!!!!!

Of course, another option is to play the waiting game, and do a late booking. See how long you can hold your nerve.

Through a combination of sheer bottle and forgetting that my passport needed renewing (oopsie...), we booked 2 weeks in Kefalonia 2 days before departure last July. Just over £400 for 2 of us for 2 weeks B&B. If you've got the money ready, prices start to drop from about 10 weeks before departure, I think. We're seriously considering doing something similar to Parga this summer, then splurging a bit for a return to Leros next year.

Mentioned in this post
Parga
Parga
Preveza Region, Greece
kent
Level Contributor
441 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thomsons - You are Definitely JOKING!!!!!!

Fully agree with DIY. We've been going that way to Kos for years now, and never had a real problem at all. We have flights booked in August with T Crook, @ £250 each, but Easyjet are about £100 cheaper at present. EJ announced the service about 1 week after we booked! The Island offers a plethora of self catering accommodation if you are prepared to move away from the AIs.

Mentioned in this post
Kos
Kos
Dodecanese, Greece
Get answers to your questions about Tigaki
Recent Conversations