We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

boat travel

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
166 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
boat travel

I have just returned from 3 nights on gili air and thought id share my boating experience.

i was travelling alone (male)with a 2&1/2 yr old and a 4&1/2 yr old and had organised a private speed boat thru my hotel in senggigi it cost $90 (just for the boat)for the 3 of us for a 9 min journey,

on the return they were meant to pick us up at 9am and hadnt showed by 9 30 so we walked to the public boat harbour and caught the local boat at 11am for $1 for the 3 of us, a local helped carry my son on and at the other end we shared a cart $3 out to the taxi rank.

it was a great experience not too mention alot cheaper and we never felt unsafe.

i hope this helps others make a decision on how to get to the islands

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Lombok
Level Contributor
3,090 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: boat travel

Freogal, do read thru the link, but quick answer is a speedboat is a small open speedboat that does the few kms cross from Teluk Nare/Kodek on Lombok to the northern gilis, around a 10 min ride in protected waters. A fastboat is an enclosed boat that does the 60-80 km open sea crossing between Bali and Lombok, around 1.5 to 4 hours in sometines big seas. Called a fast boat to differentiate it from the slow public ferry

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
14,194 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: boat travel

Thanks again for your replies franzchristoph and Sudiah. I get the boat thing now. I do miss Hurc and his entertaining and informative posts.

Singapore
Level Contributor
13 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: boat travel

Hi there,

My flight from Singapore will only be touching down abt 6pm. Should I plan for a nite's stayover on Lombok itself & then catch a boat the next morning? Or is there a reasonable txport option at night worth considering?

thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Lombok
Level Contributor
3,090 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: boat travel

Arthur, best to stay overnight then transfer the next morning.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
771 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: boat travel

@ArthurC - there is a reasonable transport worth considering it's called a Bluebird taxi. Take one from the airport all the way north to Senggigi for your first night. Do not risk an overnight crossing to the Gili islands, you will really be at the mercy of the elements as it is dark on your outrigger.

You wont be able to see much anyway by the time you arrive north i.e. 7:30 - 8pm.

Cheers

16. Re: boat travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, May 01, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Gili Air