We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

youtube videos now making me concerned-Gili Air?

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
youtube videos now making me concerned-Gili Air?

I have been watching youtube videos on Gili T, the majority show a very crowded beach, streets with lots of young people, maybe its not really the place for us?

One video taken by a couple in there early 30s showed the worst side of Gil T, they said they were asked like 8 or more times a day drugs/mushies (this would annoy us too).

The beach areas they showed had alot of scrappy pipes, trees, rubbish & very shallow water, even wading quite a distance out it was still only knee deep (north end)

They said the island was like Kuta bali, full of young people drinking and taking heaps of drugs, loud music, loud prayers 5 times aday, you could hear it on the video!!

This video was by far the only really bad view of the island, however all the videos showed a very busy island, lots of people like Kuta...plus the prices of one prawn or a small piece of fish was $5 aud.

There was only one video of Air to view.

any comments on Gili Air would be appreciated.

I might post this on Bali forum if I don't hear back...

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: youtube videos now making me concerned-Gili Air?

Thanks Phiphi

I will ask the doctor what to take, I just read on the bali forum that some take a pill others get the shot!!

One local suggested drinking the dirty worm drink eeeek!!

Ontario
Level Contributor
107 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: youtube videos now making me concerned-Gili Air?

I cannot recall where Oceans 5 is located, but I do know that the Beach Club was very quiet. There definitely was not a mosque near it. We did get typhoid and took malarone as well for malaria.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Lombok
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: youtube videos now making me concerned-Gili Air?

I'm pretty sure Oceans 5 is right where the harbour is. From the harbour there is then a stretch of sandy path for a hundred metres or so around the point and then the next batch of accomm starts and Beach Club is just near there. I think... trying to recall back a year since I've been there and Beach Club was under construction at the time.

The mosque is in the centre of the island so about the same distance to either, it is a good distance and while you might hear it faintly it will not be annoying.

I have never got cholera or thypoid shots for Lombok - and stopped bothering with anti malarials a while back. Not giving doctor advice, just my personal experience! I do take lots of care to cover up and avoid being bitten. Dengue is a problem in Bali, and there is also some in Lombok. You probably have as much chance getting Dengue in Seminyak as Lombok.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: youtube videos now making me concerned-Gili Air?

ok thanks,we don't want to take any medication or get shots if not necessary as we haven't had shots for the past two trips to Bali nor did we for Fiji...We did get shots many years ago when we went to India/Sri Lanka trip.

planet earth
Level Contributor
393 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: youtube videos now making me concerned-Gili Air?

Sunshine,

I have sent you a message with a link for some good Gili maps, I don't think I am allowed to post websites on the forum though.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: youtube videos now making me concerned-Gili Air?

Thanks bOrn2rOam, I have printed off the map, marked the chosen locations however I am still somewhat confused, someone stated that the area around Villa Ombok and Ko Ko Mo is to noisy with parties/nightlife however according to this map they look like they are next door to Scallywags??

Also no mention of Danima resort on this map?

could anyone give me any other names near Danima so I can try to mark it on our map...

So to clarify is the north more backpackerish

the south near Scallywags is alittle more resorty

with better choices for eating out?

thanks again for helping me out with all this info

Western Australia
Level Contributor
119 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: youtube videos now making me concerned-Gili Air?

Hi Sunshine,

From memory, I think Danima is just north of Almarik, maybe 150 metres?

The area around The Beachouse, Scallywags etc is where the parties are because the pubs are there (Rudys, Tir Na Nog). Around this area you will find nice resort type hotels, but further up you will find nice boutique hotels and a bit more peace and quiet.

So far as eating out, we walked from Almarik to Scallywags etc in around 10 minutes each evening. Last year we stayed at Alam Gili in the very north and it was about 20-30 minutes walk which we found too hot during the day and too dark at night.

You will find backpackers accommodation in all areas. It depends on how well you sleep I think. We are usually in bed by 9pm (have kids with us) and I wake up if there is any noise so quiet is a priority for me. The beach area around Almarik strikes a good balance for us.

Hope this helps!

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: youtube videos now making me concerned-Gili Air?

Thanks for all this info Monkeypenny, Now I am getting a better understanding of it all, Almarik has great reviews about the beach area so if Danima is in this area maybe we will find our nights will be sweet dreams, a walk to the night life is just what we like, 10 mins is fine for a romantic beach side walk...

I wonder what date the FULL MOON is for OCT??

wouldn't that be wonderful as we will be over on the Gili's from the 14th-19th..if anyone knows please let me know.

From reading reviews many state the North end is quieter, more peaceful so maybe we will stick with this in mind when deciding between resorts.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Lombok
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: youtube videos now making me concerned-Gili Air?

we could probably work it out. Last night (18 August) was the end of Ramadan which means that the slight cresent of the new moon was sighted. In approx 29 1/2 days it will be new moon again, so around 16 September. If full moon is exactly half way between new moons, then full moon would be about 14.5 days after 16th Sept which puts it around 30th Sept/1st October. Another full moon 29 1/2 days after that will be around 29th/30th October. You could probably google the answer to check if I'm right.

20. Re: youtube videos now making me concerned-Gili Air?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, August 21, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Gili Air